GPM B-52 build at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Dec 11, 2006.

1. airbob

airbob Member

Here goes...the plans and the plates are assembled for the begining build of the reduced GPM (1:33) to 1:120 scale...hopefully we will finish before
    2008!!!:razz: This some of the plans and the plates...

Attached Files:

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I take it some details will be left out due to reduction? Or are you going full out 1:33 details?

What mental institution can we find you at to send our condolences if this goes horribly wrong? :D
  3. airbob

airbob Member

I did not plan on doing full cockpit...with clear windows...but I might try something like leaving the windows out....we'll see....this is is nose assembly....I always use the little joiner flaps to insure a smooth bond on sections from front to you can see...It takes a little more time...but I feel makes for a smoother contour....

Attached Files:

4. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

a realy good idea.........

Hi airbob,

all the time I was sad because the models of bombers and other huge models in 1:33 are so big, that my wife would escape from me.............Now I found a
    way to build them nevertheless..............................

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :roll: :roll: FLU
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK Bob................... I gotta ask!

Are you planning on hanging this along with your KC-135 from the ceiling, with the boom extended?

It would make a great conversation piece and resolve the question of storage!:grin:

If you can resize your pictures to 640x480 they will fit the thread better.
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Being the resident Snake lover here (hold the applause, please), I must say, you are going to beat me to a 1:100 or smaller BUFF. I am currently working on my third redraw of the model (they keep ending up on drives in the final days of living, or on DVDs that my DVD drive won't read even though it burned the disk).

I don't know about the fit, but model has several design problems. The markings are WWII vintage. The colors are based on the display model in I believe Michigan which are badly faded and don't represent the correct SEA color scheme. The tail gun section is a bit to long for the D model and looks more like a late modified G model design. Which brings me to the nose. It looks like it was designed more for the G or H model. If it wasn't for the tall tail, it would make a nice G model (H model, of course, had different engines).

I'll be watching this build 8v) It will be nice to see a scaled down B-52...even if it isn't mine...hehe.
  7. airbob

airbob Member

This is how the final nose asssembly should look with the correct joiners on the NOSE END of each section...sorry about the poor quality picture...these teeny things just don't pick up close...

Attached Files:

8. airbob

airbob Member

B-52-clear cockpit

Below is my attempt at making a clear cockpit for the 1:120 scale B-52 that I am currently working on.....I cut out the clear cellophane from a package of oatmeal cookies (HMMM..some significance here?)...used regular paper cut for the windowframe...laid this over the cellophane and cut out the pattern and glued it ever so gently to the paper pattern and then "sandwiched" this between a layer of slightly thicker paper to "hold" the cellophane...since it does not "hold" to Elemers' need to glue the edges of the cellophane to glue paper to paper...a very, very tricky I am pretty well satisfied, now and I will proceed with the teeny cockpit contents..
    Pray for me!
    :razz: :-o :p

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks like it worked out very well! Good luck with the interior, a bit of a suggestion, as this scale is very small, some of the little fiddley bit in the cockpit can be approximated, esp if you close her up and am just viewing through the glazing. Seats, with contrasting belts, good instrument panel and engine control cluster, should do the trick. The control wheels could be just half circles on thin wiire strands. Anyway you do it, it looks good so far!
  10. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Bob: You are a true inspiration to us all. I am following this with great interest, as I too am a "downsizer" in the main. (Although upsizing the Tochka to 1:35 is going quite well!)

Best regards from your Canuck friend,
  11. airbob

airbob Member

B-52-nose at 1:120 scale

The last one was wrong!!!...I build it at 1:100 by mistake....sooooooo...had to rebuild it at 1:120...this is the finished is not perfect....but will be good enough....enough for this weekend....stay tuned for more!
    Happy Paper Building Holidays!!!

Attached Files:

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks good............. :grin:

just don't let that shark bite...........with his teeth........ yeah............ so pearly white...........8)

13. barry

barry Active Member

I could not even see it let alone build it that perfectly really looking forward to the rest.

14. airbob

airbob Member

B52 nose glazing continued

This the the most recent update for working with this nose glazing...agin cellophane from the oatmeal cookie package- (nominal expense, and you can eat the cookies!- besides a good source of fiber!!!). This a picture of the foreward section of the nose with the cellophane added and how the rear section fits over the lower inside section to complete the window glazing for this
    section of the B-52 nose....a lot of very fine cutting, mates! This is the final build of this I will atttempt at adding the interior cockpit parts....will take my shrinking pill to shrink to 9" high for 1/2 hour, to complete the cutting and placement of these parts inside...then it wears off!!!:twisted:

Attached Files:

15. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued

This is the current stage of the 1:120 B-52 build.....on second thoughts I think I would have build it without the clear canopy...I not sure it was worth the effort, and the final product lacks the normal precision that it would have had without the clear canopy....this section is real fragile....but onward we go...hope you all had a good Holiday up to now! Buy the eway...the wing fuselage is reversed in direction! I'm not going to do the bomb bays a open...don't like that for display purposes....

Attached Files:

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

lookin good! Is there any detail in the cockpit? I cant reacall if you said....
  17. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued...

This is the best I could do with the cockpit is soooo tiny:oops: ...and the next shot is of the completed mainfuselage section with wheel to the tail section....:wink:

Attached Files:

18. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

What kind of paper are you using for this build?

19. airbob

airbob Member

B-52-paper question

I have been using Georgia Pacific 110 lb for the bulkheads and Wausau 65 Pound Bright White for the outer skin. This is no special paper...but I prefer to work with this kind for simplicity...and it is priced right...
  20. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued-fuselage

This is the completion of B-52 fuselage from front to back...this is one long thing baby....the detail at the tail end is almost as complicated as the cockpit...I shall continue to soldier onward!...
    I think I shall now have a Samuel Adams...I deserve it!!!

Attached Files: