Gp40p-2

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Could anyone steer me in the right direction to make one of New Jersey Transit's GP40P-2? I know Southern Pacific had a similar engine except theirs had the weird cab, while NJT stuck with a normal EMD cab.

I have never kitbashed anything before, and i'd like to start with this locomotive. Here is a picture from Rail pictures.net : http://64.246.11.82/images/3/30.jpg.24455.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Athearn once made an SD40P, which may be just the shell you need to start with. I'll have to check when I get home from work to see if that shell would work. I have no Idea where You can find NJT decals, and you will have to research the basic paint colors.
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
OK, The Athearn SD40P shell is the older athearn, too wide body, and the lights are horizontally configured, not vertically as the NJT locos. It would be easier to scratch build the steam generator housing, than to narrow this shell. The angled grill housing could be done by modifying an SD45 Grill housing. I would consider starting with a GP40-2, and looking to Cannon for parts (grills, steam generator,headlight casting,etc.), and evergreen for sheet styrene to do this loco.
The Athearn shell does not appear to be available from Athearn, you would have to find one at a Hobby shop somewhere. In any event, you have chosen a challenging project. Good luck, and I hope you succede. It should be an interesting loco to see.

Pete

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I'll have to agree with Pete. You're better off starting with a GP-40 shell, getting a scrap SD-45 at a show for the radiator grills.
According to The Contempoary Diesel Spotters Guide (L.Marre 1995), These units were actually built as GP-40P's for the Central Of New Jersey transit trains. When the CNJ became the NJT, they were renumbered in the 4100-4112 series, and redesignated GP-40PH. The steam generators were repalced with HEP's which means that fabricating a small exhaust pipe, instead of normal steam generator details would be all you had to do.
Microscale does make decals for these units. mc- 4152 is the number.
Hope this is helpful.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I have ordered NJT Locomotive Decals before i got the idea of this project, but they haven't come yet. I was planning to get IHP's GP40FH-2 when it comes out as well. I already have the paint i need as well. Floquil Platinum Mist and Reefer orange are perfect matches for the body and handrails. Its only hard to get the right shade of black:rolleyes:

I guess it doesn't look too exceedingly difficult It appears to mee that i could leave most of the front end of the locomotive intact. In fact, all the doors on the side of my Spectrum SD45 match the doors on a drawing of a GP40P i am studying, up into the rear flared radiators. The SD45 as 3 pairs of oors, while the GP40P has 2. With all the modified diesels out there you'd think someone would sell a Steam Genereator houseing to add to the end, instead of haveing to scratch build one.

I guess i just need to find out how to lengthen the Chassis, and how to make that steam generator. This doesn't seem that hard (famous last words, i just doomed myself. to late to backspace now!) We'll see.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It just dawned on me that if you are building one of the modern New Jersey Transit units, you could look for an old Athearn sd40p shell at a train show or train swap meet. Your local hobby shop might even have one in stock. Cut the steam Generator section off the back of the shell, remove the steam generator details from the roof, and narrow it ti scale width. You would probably need to remove the lights from the back, or just fill and smooth them before narrowing and use light units from Details West or Detail Associates. Add an exhaust stack for the HEP unit, and then you just need to stretch the frame of a gp40. You could probably cut the frame and splice a section into the tank area to stretch it. It looks like the pic you posted shows a unit with an oversized tank that pretty well fills the space between the trucks.