GP30 by Atlas?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Read a rumor on the internet and am wondering if anyone else might have heard it too, and if there might be any truth to it...is Atlas planning on making an HO GP30 High Hood? (I figure if they are, an N scale is sure to follow and I need one in Southern colors...)

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
According to their website I see no GP-30 high noses in either HO or N. However, there is a GP-7 you might be able to 'upgrade'.

48361TQ.jpg

Estimated Delivery: September 2006

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
LoudMusic said:
According to their website I see no GP-30 high noses in either HO or N. However, there is a GP-7 you might be able to 'upgrade'.

It'd be much easier to mod a GP30 with a high nose than to make anything else with a high nose into a GP30.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That's a good lookin' Southern Pacific unit!

Found the maker...LifeLike (not Atlas) is making them in HO. Maybe they'll consider doing one in Nscale.

Shooter

Aug 11, 2006
home.att.net
Brian Schmidt said:
It'd be much easier to mod a GP30 with a high nose than to make anything else with a high nose into a GP30.
I agree. The short high-hood of a GP7 isn't even the right kind of hood for a GP30, as the GP30 and later EMD units have a "pointed" end to the hoods, instead of the "flat" end of the earlier engines. Using the tail-end of a second GP30 shell is rather straight-forward, as seen in my attachment.

---jps

Attachments

• 3-alignment-1.jpg
    3-alignment-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 132

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Herc, LL Proto2K came out with the HH GP30 in HO. I got two of them in my beloved N&W colors 2 weekends ago with DCC and Sound. Great runners!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
johnh - that's outstanding! How did you do it? Where would you get the parts and detailing pieces? Did you make the molding? I'm really not too familiar with castings and how they're created etc. Did you paint that Southern? Wow, it looks good. I can't wait for one to come out since doing it myself wouldn't be practical for me right now. What do you use for the chassis and motor - a regular GP30 low nose? I've been hoping to pick one up since my son and I got a cab ride in one restored by the North Carolina Transportation Museum. He loved the experience (even got to blow the horn as it entered the station) and I've been searching for one ever since. Do you make these GP30's? What railroad do you model?

Shooter

Aug 11, 2006
home.att.net
For those who don't want to do their own kitbashing, in the past few months, I've noticed that there is one fellow who offered GP30 High Hood cab and noses (one piece) on eBay. And another fellow regularly offers complete GP30 High-Hood bodies. Search under N-scale, then "GP30", and you'll find it.

---jps