GP30 by Atlas?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Herc Driver, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Read a rumor on the internet and am wondering if anyone else might have heard it too, and if there might be any truth to Atlas planning on making an HO GP30 High Hood? (I figure if they are, an N scale is sure to follow and I need one in Southern colors...)
  2. zachary

zachary Member

hey their herc i dont know of a gp 30 but i think they make a sd60 bysor now zach
  3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

According to their website I see no GP-30 high noses in either HO or N. However, there is a GP-7 you might be able to 'upgrade'.

Estimated Delivery: September 2006
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

It'd be much easier to mod a GP30 with a high nose than to make anything else with a high nose into a GP30.
  5. Herc Driver

That's a good lookin' Southern Pacific unit!

Found the maker...LifeLike (not Atlas) is making them in HO. Maybe they'll consider doing one in Nscale.
  6. Shooter

Shooter New Member

I agree. The short high-hood of a GP7 isn't even the right kind of hood for a GP30, as the GP30 and later EMD units have a "pointed" end to the hoods, instead of the "flat" end of the earlier engines. Using the tail-end of a second GP30 shell is rather straight-forward, as seen in my attachment.

Attached Files:

7. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

8. Herc Driver

Great! Now that they proved they can make one in HO...they need to do it in N.
  9. johnh

johnh New Member

Like this?
  10. Herc Driver

Now that's really good looking!
  11. johnh

johnh New Member

The beginning:
  12. Herc Driver

Johnh - is that a GP30 in Nscale? The picture of that Southern looks great - but I can't tell what scale it is. And did you make it yourself from that undecorated shell?

Shooter - that's a good idea using the tail end of another GP30 unit to make one into a high hood. I might give it a try, but I must admit my kitbashing skills are pretty untested. So far my experience is limited to changing couplers and minor repairs to shipping-damaged diesels. But ya gotta start somewhere...maybe this is a good first project. And it would give me a good excuse to get that airbrush I've needed.
  13. johnh

johnh New Member

yes, the GP30 is N scale and I make the casting. It accepts the Atlas window glazing and numberboards. A lot easier when you want more than one.
  14. 91rioja

91rioja Member

Herc, LL Proto2K came out with the HH GP30 in HO. I got two of them in my beloved N&W colors 2 weekends ago with DCC and Sound. Great runners!
  15. Herc Driver

johnh - that's outstanding! How did you do it? Where would you get the parts and detailing pieces? Did you make the molding? I'm really not too familiar with castings and how they're created etc. Did you paint that Southern? Wow, it looks good. I can't wait for one to come out since doing it myself wouldn't be practical for me right now. What do you use for the chassis and motor - a regular GP30 low nose? I've been hoping to pick one up since my son and I got a cab ride in one restored by the North Carolina Transportation Museum. He loved the experience (even got to blow the horn as it entered the station) and I've been searching for one ever since. Do you make these GP30's? What railroad do you model?
  16. Shooter

Shooter New Member

For those who don't want to do their own kitbashing, in the past few months, I've noticed that there is one fellow who offered GP30 High Hood cab and noses (one piece) on eBay. And another fellow regularly offers complete GP30 High-Hood bodies. Search under N-scale, then "GP30", and you'll find it.

17. Herc Driver

I should have thought to look there...thanks!
  18. engineshop

engineshop Member

I got an undecorated GP30 shell from Atlas, cut off the back of the shell and used it as the nose. I had to cut the fan housing and use some filler but for my purposes it was enough.
    And for $2.40 it is an unbeatable price.

19. johnh

johnh New Member

Roland, one thing that you left out was the rework of the brow to move it back on the cab. the brow is not in the same position on the high-hood engines that it is on the low hood versions. If you are interested in more of my pics:
  20. Herc Driver

That's some nice modeling Roland! There's a picture with a story behind it...great job.