GP Stuka is awesome!

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Fastsky, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

Finally finished my GP Stuka last night. The lateral balance was good and the cg was just a little over the suggested starting point of 4" from the leading edge. I used a Tower Hobbies 75 engine and to get the muffler to fit I had to dremel out some of the bottom of the fuselage and then close the open gap with fiberglass. I wanted to use a MAS 13-6 prop but the hub was too wide to allow for a lock washer so I settled for a 12-6 APC. Based on posts from other Stuka owners I pulled the landing gear wires forward about an inch to prevent nosing over problems. I also maxed out the aileron throws to give better roll response. I also used a Sullivan tail wheel assembly in place of the one supplied with the kit. The taxi tests showed that the planes steering reponse was very good and that there was no tendency to nose over even without adding up elevator. The wind direction kept changing but it wasn't too fast so I just picked the longest runway and throttled up. The plane speeded up very quickly and was airborne in a few seconds. In fact it just wanted to climb even when I reduced throttle. I had a flying buddy standing by and he added full down trim. It was better but it still needed more. Aileron trim only needed a few clicks of right for level flight. Went to full throttle and was amazed at the shape of the dark wings against the sky. It was pretty cloudy out and I had to suddenly turn around before I lost sight of it. With this engine/prop combo this is one fast plane, faster than my Kaos which was the test plane for the engine!! Didn’t want to try the flaps or anything fancy for the first flight. Made some low high speed passes and they were fun to watch. Turned to land and chopped the throttle. The plane slowed down nicely and touched down on 2 wheels about ½ way down the runway. Rolled about a dozen more feet and then the tail touched down. After I taxied back I adjusted the elevator halves for down trim and a bit on the ailerons. The second takeoff was awesome. Just throttled up and steered down the runway. Just when I was thinking of adding elevator the plane took off by itself followed by a gentle climb out. Made a few high speed passes and was thinking of trying a loop but decided not to as it was starting to get dark and I wanted to see what I was doing a bit better. Brought it around for another landing that was even slower and better looking than the first one. The applause’s from the crowd of flyers was nice to hear as well. This plane is a keeper and it made my whole weekend worth while!:D
  2. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

Any body here?!?
  3. Starguard

Starguard Member

Of all the planes on my Realflight G2 Simulator, the Stuka is the easiest for me to fly. I've never actually owned one, but I've seen others fl;y them and I have to agree that it does seem rather easy to fly. I may even buy one myself one day :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.