Gotta love Athearn Genesis cars!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by RioGrande, Jul 21, 2004.

1. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

First - the HO model:

The following prototype pictures from gallery.

Genesis PC&F Box Car 8' + 6' Door box car, here it is right ahead of that nice D&RGW caboose:

BTW, I have a brass caboose painted just like that one, and a Walthers red Santa Fe auto rack, just like the one ahead of that Southern Pacific PC&F box car. This is what I enjoy most about model railroading is finding models matching real cars in pictures and being able to duplicate those consists, at least in part!

This is the kind of thing I love to do is collect models so I can make train just like ones in photos!

Notice in this next photo more PC&F box cars!
    Three of the box cars behind the engines are the PC&F double door box cars, and one is the PC&F 14' door box car. This is the reason I need these puppies!

Still more PC&F box cars on an SP train:

And now for the newest Athearn Genesis offering - the North American 50' box car (two examples from Athearn's website):
  2. Topo

Topo Member

Hey, RioGrande, these NAC cars are nice!! :p

I LOVE the Genesis cars. Jointly with the Intermountain "Pinnacle" ones, I think that they are the best "modern" plastic H0 cars actually.

What a pity that sometimes they are so elusive, specially the D&RGW ones. I gone nuts triying to grab the two previous (G4343 & G4344). I ordered well in advance in two different hobby shops, and both stores only were able to get the G4344! :( :curse:

So thanks for posting this. :thumb: I would have passed them unaware if not for you, but after reading your post I hurried and ordered them. Maybe this time I'll be luckier... :D
  3. dean

dean New Member

You probably already know this beer they come in 12-packs:

From the Athearn Web site:

G4378 50' PC&F 8' & 6' Door SP Early (12-pack) August 2004 Retail $359.76
    G4379 50' PC&F 8' & 6' Door SSW Early (12-pack) August 2004 Retail $359.76

So you can fill out a nice train with this offering.......sorry Jim couldn't help myself in tempting you. :wave: :thumb: ;)
  4. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

Believe me Dean, I've already been tempted! While I can't see myself clear to two dozen of these cars, I am planning on a half dozen of the SP PC&F 8'+6' door 50 box cars you mentioned. I'd imagine that Athearn had a total sellout of the first batch of two numbers of SP & SSW cars, which I got all 4 of.

If you feel sorry for me needing them, what about full fledged SP fans? Ouch for their wallets! And now Intermountain has taken a direct aim at them too with the new FMC double door box cars.

Oh, and speaking of beer ...

PC&F and beer go together like hand in glove. Now if only P-B-L's Eel River would run some more 60' PC&F box cars as RTR, there would be a way to get the beer to market from Golden Colorado - Coors, Rocky Mountain p*** water! I actually have 7 of those kits myself, but unfortunately, there were allot of variations between them, what with side sills (indented vs full-length, doors (10, 12 & 14') and roofs (peaked vs flat). Rio Grande hauled a fair number of these too. My Rio Grande kit will require the roof flattened and the side sills filled in to make it correct. I've noticed a number of other kits from Eel River to have the wrong combinations of details when compaired to photos.
  5. dean

dean New Member

Jim, at the price for a 12-pack, it is rather steep of a price for these cars. $29.98 Retail Price, maybe discounted to $24-25 still puts them at a bit of an expense. But still they are nice cars........
  6. RioGrande

RioGrande Member

I've never paid more than $21 for the PC&F cars, but it still add's up.
  7. jasonboche

jasonboche Member

My 12 pack of Athearn Genesis BNSF maroon Trinity hoppers came last week.

It's a good thing they came boxed nicely in packaging because I was drooling all over them when I saw them.

I still haven't unboxed them yet. I want to finish ballasting my layout first and then clean my track and then I'll put together a nice consist of my new BNSF SD60M's, maybe a Dash 9 C44-9W or two, followed by these 12 BNSF lovlies :D :D

BTW $250 buy it now on Ebay. Price is no object for me on these cars.
  8. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Unlike 12 packs of beer, the Athearn cars are out of my price range!