Got Myself a Plane!

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The Postman arrived today with a registered pkg from GPM in Poland and inside was the newest Orlik, the SM 79 Sparviero. Man is this thing pretty big!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 210

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
The kit comes in a very oversized format A something it is twice the size exactly of standard A4 model booklets. Shown here with the other part of the order one of theire New Albatross B1s.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 207

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Most of the fuselage parts are printed on a glossy colored paper 8 sheets, and then 4 shets of thinner plain paper formers and interior parts. The instructions in Polish are on the inside front cover and then 3 pages of line drawn illustrations. There is a neat print inside on thin paper of the coverart suitable to frame I guess. There is also a print of some type of floatplane inside, I guess an advertisement for a later kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 205

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Heres one of the 3 line drawing illustrations, although the 3rd page is on the inside back cover and is the 3view drawing plan. It is a big kit with a bunch of parts, but aside from the interior and some engine parts which are detailed and small, the bulk of the parts seem pretty big. This has moved the "pile" somewhat and looks to be promising. The print all appears to be top notch with good consistant color throughout and good print registration. I'm just not sure of the glossy type paper, it is like the glossy paper Halinski used for their P51Ds. Anyways it does look pretty good, separate flying surfaces detailed gear housings and interior and bomb bay. It has a few bombs and A big black torpedo.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 199

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
I don't know John, I have to try and finish the Dr1, although even with the simple struts it is starting to grate on my nerves. How you WW1 guys do it I don't know, my hats off to you!

Sumato

Sep 2, 2005
Man, I've been waiting to see this one for a while. If anyone can put her together right, its you!

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Coming up eatcrow2, I didn't want to mention it yet, if this WW1 thing does work out I thought I'd pick that one up too. If it didn't work out I was going to cut it loose on the ebay thing later. The Albatross B1 kit has 4 1/2 pages of illustration, but one of them is printed on the back of formers that have to be laminated! The color and registration looks good, all the pages are A4 card stock 4 pages of parts one of formers, although one of the parts pages has a good deal of parts that have to be laminated to 1mm stock. The cover pic gives the impression that the plane is orange or reddish, when it realyy is a woodgrained fuselage and doped linen wing surfaces. The markings are German/Austrian I guess? It looks to be fairly detailed but it does have a lot of that rigging stuff that I oh so love!

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
A very interesting kit there Ted!!
I was thinking of buying it myselves,but I have promised myselves to dig down in my pile of models on the shelf before I buy more models......thats why I bought two Panzers from GPM yesterday....and 3 models from Modelik today.....and I'm waiting on an earlier order from Orlik containing 3 models.....MAN I never learn!!
But now I'm not buying any more this year......maybe :)

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Johnny I look at it this way. Buy them when they are available, alot of these kits go out of production. Take GPM kits for example. They made the Avenger and the Twin Mustang, both are now out of print. If you don't get to them you can always pass them on either sell them or present them as presents or prizes.

eatcrow2

Apr 20, 2004
Santa Monica, Calif.
cmdrted said:
Coming up eatcrow2, I didn't want to mention it yet, if this WW1 thing does work out I thought I'd pick that one up too. If it didn't work out I was going to cut it loose on the ebay thing later. The Albatross B1 kit has 4 1/2 pages of illustration, but one of them is printed on the back of formers that have to be laminated! The color and registration looks good, all the pages are A4 card stock 4 pages of parts one of formers, although one of the parts pages has a good deal of parts that have to be laminated to 1mm stock. The cover pic gives the impression that the plane is orange or reddish, when it realyy is a woodgrained fuselage and doped linen wing surfaces. The markings are German/Austrian I guess? It looks to be fairly detailed but it does have a lot of that rigging stuff that I oh so love!

Now that's a great review.......;-) Thanks for taking the time to post it..

Rick Thomson

Aug 21, 2005
Rastatt, Germany
Reading through this thread is comforting, it seems that having a huge stockpile of unbuilt models that we will never get around to is a common affliction amoungst us. :grin: