Got my Shay

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Got my new Bachmann HO 3 truck shay yesterday, it's a knockout, quiet running, silky smooth, details are fantastic. Just in the middle of weathering it, as it was Un Dec. I have also painted the cab roof. Show photo's later on in the year.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Shamus - your shay is featured in this month's product review in MR magazine. I haven't read the review yet, but it sure is a nice looking machine!
There's also a feature article on Boone Morrison's HOn3 layout. It features scratchbuilt redwood trees a scale 280' tall!A really nice piece of work.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yes, MDC do both kit form and ready to run. I would prefer the Kit to build, apart from it being cheaper, you can make a better job than the ready to run one. If you take your time with it. I have three of these I made from the kits, and all run very well. The new Bachmann 3 truck shay, on the other hand, is far better than anything else in the Backmann warehouse.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Charlie, Yes I know Boone quite well.

My shay is now weathered, Cab roof painted etc. Found a slight jerky movement going down grage, I shall have to investigate that myself.
have you had a look at my website yet?
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk
Take a looksee.
shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 02-08-2001).]

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very impressive website Shamus! You are one well-rounded model railroader. Photography, graphics, construction, wiring, scenery, scratchbuilding... I would be happy to master any one of these skills.
Maybe I can brush up my photography enough to where I could e-mail you some idea of what I'm attempting here.

(Is that really a picture of you, or is that Michael Caine?)
biggrin.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Charlie, Funny that about Michael Caine, he has the same birthday as me.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yes, anytime you need help in photography or any other aspect of model railroading, just ask, or email from my website..
cheers
shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Railery, Glad you got your shay, lets see some pics of yours. Mine was undec. and wood sided cab, what's yours?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Great, look forward to seeing it, here's a photo of mine weathered and lettered.
ttsa.jpg

Hi Shamus, i know i posted somewhere that my shay has arrived and u asked for a pic. Well i can't find the post so i'm posting here
smile.gif

This is the trestle that is torn out now:
View

This is another shot of the Shay.
View

And here is the shot of the cab, haven't learned how to take it apart yet
wink.gif

View

i like the insides, u can see the opening to the broiler. This was the 80 Ton Steal 3 Truck Shay, painted but not decaled. i will be adding my own and weathering
biggrin.gif