Gorham Station Progress

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
auburn, ME - SLR mile 29.34
Visit site
I made some progress today on my N scale Gorham Station.

The round front is actually an Advil bottle with scribed siding laminated to it. When its dry I am going to cut in the windows. When it is all set, then I will chop it in half and attach it to the side walls. Each side wall has one short little section that is not attached yet. When the front is ready, I want to make sure I can sand the pieces and blend them before attaching the rest of the side walls. Note all of the corners have yet to be trimmed.

abs.sized.jpg

For reference:
abl.jpg

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
progress looks great I'm working on a round project myself and used a piece of pvc pipe. The free advertising for feather river train shop will be greatly appreciated by Chuck the contractor!!!!
Keep up the progress photos there really helpful. Thanks Pat

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Outstanding!

I can already see this is going to be an amazing replica... and with that just that photo as reference? If I was wearing a hat, I'd tip it to you. :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
What an interesting station! Using the Advil bottle for the rouned section is brilliant! I love stuff like that.
Looking forward to updates!
Ralph

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
Visit site
thanks for the comments!

Chuck at FRTS is a buddy of mine...don't tell him, but he sent me a bunch of cards that I use for bases and as a cutting edge! :D His card actually says conductor!

I have more pics of the other sides of the station, and one pic of my girlfriend standing in front of the wall. So I used her height to figure out dimensions. I couldn't find the pics of the far long wall, so I made it the reverse of the front. As soon as it was done, I found the pics on my hard drive. Wouldn't you know?!!? So, what I did stays. I am thinking about making a second station after this to try some different techniques, same one, just some other ideas I had thought about.

I was going to use the little round tubs the Staples binder clips come in, you can see one in the pics. But they are very flimsy and the wrong size. I had a headache last week, and had torn the house apart looking for round things, say, about the size of a station! Went to get Advil, and now the advil is in a baggie and I have my front piece!

I am worried about how nice the blend will be where the straight walls tie to the round section, the round part will get notched. Hoping the seam is clean.

Updates to follow as I get parts finished!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This station really look nice - and what you built up so far, does it, too. The idea to use that plastic bottle for the rounded front is very clever. (A household is always a great source for all sorts of modeling stuff! :D :D )

Now I wonder how you'll do that rounded part of the roof...

Ron

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Gorham station is coming along vey well, my toxic friend. I, too, am looking forward to your shingle solution for the round roof.

Your engine house looks great, too!

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
Visit site
dick, thanks! the enginehouse hasn't changed much since you saw it at the show a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit the foundation does make it look better, once its painted I think it will really make the effort to add the foundation strips worthwhile. Need to get the windows and doors in and paint the thing. Then it goes back to the railroad so the SLR guys can judge it!

I have not been looking forward to the roof on this station! Matthyro's CP station thread though had some really good pics of his round roofs with that double pitch. So, once the walls are done I will turn it upside down and trace the outline on a sheet of styrene. Then I will measure out and mark the outline of the actual roof at its edge, basically by measuring out about 4 feet all the way around.

Then, I will mark the center lines/points starting with the main roof and the round roof. Then the smaller ones, then start adding the formers like Matthyro did. Then, not sure! Debating between trying 0.010" sheet or using a shrink wrap film like you can get for windows to insulate them. Then I would cover that with a layer of putty or something. Then the shingles and a chimney and hopefully that will be it!

I will definitely keep posting updates! I may need some pointers!

txcavgr

Jan 20, 2003
Visit site
UPDATE 11-23-03

I did some work on my two scratch projects. Cleaned up the enginehouse and installed two of three doors. Next update will be paint!

Then kept on with the Gorham station project. Its now mounted to a base which can also have the platform attached to it. The curved part has been glued on and is ready to cut the window openings and install the window castings. Slowly moving this project forward!

abx.jpg