Gooney Bird Transport Design Authority

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Huey, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

2. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Now if you wanted to do this with class, build the front and attach to the wall. In the room directly behind the front half, you have the back half attached.

If you are artistically inclined, both walls are painted to represent broken plaster, chipped paint and peeled paper. All that's missing are a couple drunks and the sound effects!

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ok DeWayne,

I'm trademarking "Wall Smackers" for my own use..,

Could end up being a very popular line of wall adornments especially for kids rooms (big ones too).

Best regards, Gil
  4. Huey

Huey Member

Lets get this bird off the ground first before we even think of anything else, otherwise we'll just have strings hanging from the celing or a bare wall staring at us. :D
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Back again,

I've started gathering design resources. Luckily there's a lot of image content on the internet making this part a lot easier. Have to count out the frames and longerons on the fuselage to make a good polygon sectioned fuselage good for quick and accurate lofting. I'm thinking of making the model with real frames and longerons which the skin is then attached (something like a model airplane). Wings and empenages would follow the same construction technique.

What do you think?

Best regards, Gil
  6. Huey

Huey Member

you know what's funny, about a week ago i was thinking the very same thing. build a C-47 paper model as if you are constructing a real one, that's why I'm batting for 1:16 scale as you can do a lot on that scale in terms of details, aside from a great excuse for having clumsy fingers :D
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

It will have a 74 inch wingspan. About the same as the Alan Rose wall model. The reason for a larger scale is to show a finished interior. This will make it a pretty rare bird amongst all models plastic or otherwise (also a lot more design work but that's going to be the challenge of it). Instinct tells me that this model will sell on the basis that it's just something a modeler has got to have. After doing research it became quickly evident that this bird is an ambassador to qualities World wide that we just don't seem to have much of any longer. It's the sort of thing that brings tears to a marketeer's eyes. The first version will be the DC-3 followed by the C-47 although both will be covered in the primary design due to the fairly small differences between the two (engine nacelle changes will also be included).

Several issues remain..., how to document paint schemes to cover the incredible range used over time on this type. I've thought of finding a vendor who can do short runs of high resolution computer output (digital printers). This needs to be cost assessed. Another is the decision to keep it available in a print version only to make pirating dificult if not impossible without major investments in both time and money. Besides it will need to be printed on oversized card stock anyway.

Started a small experimental section this evening to test out a couple of things before diving in to do the highly detailed CAD drawings. I'll report on this as soon as the results come in..., pictures if positive words otherwise.

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Looks like I alone will be the "Gooney Bird Transport Design Authority". Oh well...,

P.S.S. I don't think there's any legal complications as mine will be an original design.
  8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Gil, this is VERY GOOD NEWS!

My only worry is that the project might be too big for one person. On the other hand, organizing a joint effort may turn out to be just as frustrating.

For what it's worth, I would dearly like to chip in - if needed; I am in no way trying to edge myself in - on smaller parts and details, like perhaps some Photoshop work on interior parts, once the shape of them are determined from your's and other's work.

I know from my own flight sim reworking of other's images how much work is involved in just reworking existing patterns.

The DC3 project is very close to my heart, and I'd really like to see this one come to fruition.

9. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Hey all,
    I just received an email from the designer late last night and he has a few concerns. First off is the limitations of paper. The larger the model - the greater the potential failure. Wings are the worst. Droop and structural failure.

Gil, you're doing one too? Excellent.

Something else. Don't have a cost estimate as yet but time factor for model is roughly 3 months once detailed plans are received. This is a major effort and if serious, will involve some dedication.
    More when it coimes in.
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Consider yourself elected as a Director of The Gooney Bird Trransport Design Authority will full voting rights. Believe it or not it will be the paint that requires the most work on this long term. Rivet and panel line detail will also require a considerable effort as will the detailing of the cockpit and interior. Glad to have you aboard!

1:16 scale requires different design techniques than 1:33. It requires attention to the span of the wing and paper's tendency to warp over time. It would also be nice to know if a good set of plans exist. I intend to develop my own drawings from various sources. This project is going to require a period of at least 6 months to produce the alpha prototype. What scale do you intend?

Best regards, Gil
  11. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

This C-47 project has been discussed off list a little before coming to light here but I'm certain you realize this is not going to be an overnight sensation (sorry Frank) and much will have to be done before the first file will be printed.

Still under review are the different possibilities of insuring structural integrity. This and many other factors will determine ultimate cost.

I am thinking of doing this in a stage build. Modular, if you will. As each section is completed, issue it so construction can begin, or progress, as the case may be. Cost would not be such a burden if broken up over a period installments. Still working this out so suggestions are welcome.

All of this and more is contingent on designers input and cost estimates. I asked for a high and low price so we have a rough idea of the minimum and maximum cost. Ideally this will cover the bare metal craft to the fully painted (I see the printer industry selling a lot of new printers).

More as I get the information.

Glad to have you aboard as well, Gil
  12. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

DC-3 cockpit

Gil, DeWayne, others

It might not be a bad idea to consider a step-by-step process with a project this large, where some steps actually can be produced as stand alone kits. I myself would love to have a large model of a DC3 cockpit on a base plate on the wall, preferably cut-away on one side as an option, to reveal a mass of interior detail.

Also the engine, with a partially cut-away cowling, and including the landing gear, would be very attractive to build and have on the wall.

Below I enclose two pictures of such a model, which actually made its way into a museum, to serve as an inspiration. It is an old balsa model, and it seems to me a paper one could outdo that.

PS. Gil - a Director I am not, and will not be. I just wanted to indicate a willingness to chip in if and when there was something that needed doing, and I was able do it at that time, same as many others would like to do, I imagine. Aluminium skin painting in Photoshop, that I cannot do.

DeWayne and Gil booth - what are we dealing with here, two projects? I'm all for competition, but is this wise, competing instead of sharing the burden of work? Is there no way to produce something open-ended, that would enable others to join in with add-ons, other liveries, other cockpit variations, etc., etc.

Please explain so I understand the situation. The last thing we want is a trench fighting where one would unwillingly end up on one or the other side.

Now for the pictures. They are from the book "On Miniature Wings" by Thomas J. Dietz (Model Aircraft of the National Air and Space Museum). Caption is the original.
  13. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

I have an awful lot on my plate as it is, you all, so go for it. I'll kick in when I can squeeze it in. Let me know what you need and I'll try to assist.

It's hard to remember the main objective is to drain the swamp when you're up to your a** in alligators!
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

Leif, nice detail work! Don't blame you for begging off from the task, it's large by any stretch of the imagination. You're right though about two projects though, as I was wondering about that myself.

DeWayne, What scale was the alternate project?

I'm beginning to sense that there's not a lot of support for the 1:16 project and it will be isolated to a single individual's effort. Oh well ownership has it's own rewards...,

Regards, Gil

P.S. I don't have any idea of what the off line discussion is.., I guess I should keep the work quiet till it's ready.
  15. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Gil, please do not take offence. Just wanted to be very clear in order not to raise false expectations. I of course, as I imagine many others, would love a 1/16 DC3, and would cherish an opportunity to be a part, however small, of developing it.

My dream set-up would be one where interested people could contribute to a common project producing off-shoots and test versions of details regularly, making them available for test builds and improvements continuously. A kind of transparent process.

Ideally such a project should produce intermediary, developmental, versions which could be acquired for a small sum, and the returns going to I realize the responsibility for keeping any final version(s) available to the public would have to rest with an existing firm.

This may be too much of idealism, but I'd really like it, since it would engage many like-minded.

16. cardfan

cardfan Member

I support this project whole heartedly, and would probably buy the finished product, but would this be easy to change the scale and the size? I don't know about the rest of the group, but the amount of space for display and construction in my little domain is limited and something with a 6 foot plus wingspan is just out of the question.

My Dad flew these wonderful machines and I would jump at the chance to build one.

Just my input, now back to the cutting.