Google Sketch Up Pro 6.0

CJTK1701

Banned
I've recently downloaded the newest version of google's sketch up software and I'm amazed at how intuitive the software is and how well done the tutorials and videos are done.

I think this is absolutely fantastic that google would make a CAD/3D program that anyone can use.

I've worked as an instructor and a teacher and am duely impressed with the interface and ease of use.

I loath text based programs, I've used AutoCAD in the past and have briefly tried to use other textbased programs. In my oppinion they greatly increase the time needed to get past the learning curve and to actually be able to produce anything of value.

I'm wondering if there are others here that use this program and if anyone has bought the full version? I'm seriously considering purchasing it and would like to hear from someone with more experience than I have.

On the surface it seems like a very powerful program, for being so easy to use and for being so cheap. The fact that you can export to other file types only increases the attraction.

What are your thoughts? Have you used this, have you purchased the full version? How would you stack this up against other CAD and 3D programs?

RonP

Member of the WMRC
It is an absolutly fantastic program that very very quickly draws complicated drawings giving lots of control to design.

i love it

CJTK1701

Banned
It is an absolutly fantastic program that very very quickly draws complicated drawings giving lots of control to design.

i love it

I've only played with it for a couple of days and went through some of the lil training sessions, but I'm very impressed! this is exactly the type of thing I've been wanting to run across for years. No need for all of that text based nonsense. I'm very seriously considering buying the license for the full package.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I have used it, and there is a member here (LoudMusic) who has produced a number of interesting sketches, including benchwork.

My only regret with it is no matter how easy it is to use, I have yet to find sufficent time to really play with it! The other is I have not yet figured out how to derive elevation drawings from the 3D model - i.e. print me a set of plans and elevations based on my drawing, and do it automatically!

But overall, yes it is great. Definitely sets the bar (much, much) higher for "shareware"... ;) :D

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I have viewed the three part tutorial that comes with it, and they are helpful... As soon as they get those new 27 hour days, I'll have more free time! ;)

Andrew

doctorwayne

I've tried the free version, and it's lots of fun. Beyond that, too much work for me to do anything serious, as I can get lost in even simple computer-ese. :rolleyes: If I needed to do serious drawing, I much prefer a pencil and ruler, and I don't bother making drawings for model building, other than the odd sketch on a scrap of paper. ;):-D

Wayne

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
It looks super neat. However for $500 buck-a-roos for the full version, I'll have to pass. I cannot justify that price for software just to play a round with.

CJTK1701

Banned
It looks super neat. However for $500 buck-a-roos for the full version, I'll have to pass. I cannot justify that price for software just to play a round with.
I wasn't thinking of purchasing it for just playing around. I was just wondering if anyone here had purchased it and was/is it indeed as flexible as it seems, or is that all hype.

If it can import and export different file types and maintain the quality, that in itself makes it almost worth the money.

3Ds and Lightwave are far more expensive, as are many other programs of this nature, not to mention Sketch-ups ease of use and limited learning curve.