Google Maps

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
:thumb: Actually yes, I do it all the time....

I drove a semi over the road and spent A LOT of time in railyards. I have gone on google maps to find the railyards I've been too.... Funny, they sure look a LOT different from above than they feel from the ground! :)

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
I used google earth to check out north platt nebraska train yards . was so impressed I will be making a trip from kansas to check it out . Thanks Roger

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
If you haven't already done it, try Google Earth. It requires a software download and at least a moderately fast connection, but it is quite a bit more versatile than their maps.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Google maps has had some major mistakes in its rail lines. I poked around it when it was first introduced and realized this; I've never really gone back to see if they bothered to update, but I'd guess not. One would be much better served using Google Earth, if the resolution is sufficient, in conjunction with printed topo maps and railroad documents to discern the arrangement of railroad tracks.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
It's not bad. For hunting around for old rail grades, however, it lacks the sharp focus that is really needed.

I like looking down at my house, though! :D

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
railohio said:
Google maps has had some major mistakes in its rail lines. I poked around it when it was first introduced and realized this; I've never really gone back to see if they bothered to update, but I'd guess not. One would be much better served using Google Earth, if the resolution is sufficient, in conjunction with printed topo maps and railroad documents to discern the arrangement of railroad tracks.
If you use the Satellite option on Google Maps it's the same as Google Earth and both have mistakes in more than just the railyards. They have my house address one street over and two blocks down from where it should be.

It's still fun to scope out the rail yards though. :)

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Cannonball said:
If you use the Satellite option on Google Maps it's the same as Google Earth and both have mistakes in more than just the railyards. They have my house address one street over and two blocks down from where it should be.

They had me about four miles off, but when I checked it today, both Earth and Maps were only off about 150 feet. It looks like they are fixing things at last. I also noticed they have Linux and Mac versions of Earth available.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Torpedo said:
They had me about four miles off, but when I checked it today, both Earth and Maps were only off about 150 feet. It looks like they are fixing things at last. I also noticed they have Linux and Mac versions of Earth available.
150 feet would put me in my neighbor's living room two houses down. :D