Google Earth/Keyhole Project

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Howard, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

I don't know if anybody has this, I do, but with the free version of Google Earth with keyhole's help, you can surf etc, using digital photos from space. But what I've recently undertaken as my next task, is finding and labeling every, yes, every turntable and roundhouse in the US, however long and laborious it may seem, its actually fun to see how many turntables exist in your neigborhood alone, I know I was surprised to find 5 in St. Louis alone! But this is just a call out, if anybody is interested....
  2. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

3. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I don't know if you are only interested in operating turntables, but there is one in Glendive MT. It's a fallen flag (GN) and I know that it's not operating because they tore up the tracks years ago. I couldn't get a good enough resolution with Google Earth to see it, but if you use NASA's World Wind you can see where it was. Coordinants are Lat 47.10506* Long -104.70939*. It's best viewed in the USGS Digital Ortho mode.
    If you don't have World Wind you can find a link to it on the reference page of the links page in my signature. Be advised though, it's a really large program. If you don't have a large HD and DSL it probably won't work very well for you. If you do use it, it's a really good programe for satallite close-ups of anywhere on Earth.
  4. ReefBlueCoupe

ReefBlueCoupe Member

Has anyone used Google Earth to look at the HUGE railroad yard on the east side of St Louis, just east of the Airport? It's impressive.