Good starter armor model

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by Tenrik, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Tenrik

Tenrik New Member

As a very longtime builder[35 yrs] of plastic armor models' the price is getting too expensive for me. I've noticed that GPM,Halinski,Modelik and others produce
    near plastic quality, at a fraction of the price. I would like to start building some
    of these models. What might be a good starter kit to build?
  2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Tenrik Good question,

First stay with the newer models that have been published in the last 4 years or so. They tend to have the best graphics and the level of detail is quite good. The 3 publishers you have noted have the best track record for producing good models. Halinski is my favorite for color accuracy and weathering. But with the exception of the PzKw II and the 2cm Flak 38 are what I would call difficult models even for an experienced builder. However the PzKw II if you can find it would be a good starter model. No interior but it has individual track links.

GPM’s newer models are nearly as good as Halinski the only reason I do not rate them as high as Halinski is that of the 5 or 6 models that I have purchased and studied I have found several fit problems. Nothing that can’t be over come by an experienced builder but could cause someone building their first paper AFV some fits (pun intended). That does not mean don’t try one the experience will do you good and even if you are unsatisfied with the model you are only out $15. The TK3 #2-2001 is a good starter model.

Now my favorite for “good” paper AFV’s for a beginner. Most of Modellik’s models tend to be somewhat simplified compared to GPM and Halinski. Because of the simplification of the model I would think that they would be your best bet for a beginner model. For you guys like master modeler Josef who are building the new ISU122 and ISU152 I haven’t seen these kits but I suspect that they are better then average. Don’t assume that a Kebelwagon at $9 is a simple model this is a stunning little model that could tax the best of us to build. I would try the Kettnkraftrad not a difficult model but not a simple model and with a little work makes in to a fine little model it is one of my favorites.

If you haven’t seen this model, take a look at the M5 here,

The model is typical of the better commercial paper models unfortunately the color is way off otherwise I would have built it. The M5 looks like a terrific model. You could start this one to get a feel of how Paper model AFV’s are built. Any mistakes can be reprinted and rebuild.

Jim Nunn
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's a really hard question to give a coherent answer to without some hint
    about the questioner's interests. I guess if you've done plastic AFV models then you're in the 1/25 scale area.

There are scads of models on WW2 subjects but relatively few of modern armour. Pre-WW2 subjects aren't common except for Polish AFVs.

I agree with Jin Nunn's analysis of the Halinski kits - The Panzer II is a reasonable starter and perhaps the 88m gun model is about the same difficulty.

Some of the Modelik kits are worth a look - the Stug IV and Hummel kits certainly are. I think the recent ISU122/152 and IS-2 would be beyond the abilities of a beginner in paper.

Some of the Answer kits are definitely worth a look - the T-50 and SdKfz 250 are as good as many GPM kits.

I'd recommend looking at some of the on-line shops, say,, pick a few models that interest you and post back here for more detailed (and hopefully informed) comments on your selection.

Jim has pointed to the free M5 model on-line. There are others such as T-70 at, T-26/Su-76 at

4. Tenrik

Tenrik New Member

Thanks for the great help Jim and Charlie, The Krondas M5 actually got me intersted in card model afv's. For a free model it does have very good detail and I think I could run the pages through Photoshop to get a more realistic color. I've noticed that the pre-war polish kits are unusual types, and have interesting features. As I am new to card modeling I'll start off with a digital model, that way like Jim said if Imess it up I can easily start over. I mainly like WWII armor, and 1/25th scale is a good scale to stick with.

Thanks again Jim and Charlie

ARMORMAN Guest

6. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

7. Tenrik

Tenrik New Member

I've decided to build the B-cards T-26 as my first build as I've always liked the early russian AFV'S. Here goes nothing[lol]
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

Nice model but watch out for the structural problems with the frame.

There's a "gotcha" with this model because the suspension mount for the roadwheel is only onto the skin of the hull and there is no underlying frame to support the twisting loads carried into the hull by the suspension units. The net effect is that the hull will deform. There are a couple of ways to fix this:
    - run a couple of bamboo rods through the hull and frame and use these to mount the suspension on.
    - add sideplates to the original frame - same shape as the existing frames.

The rivet detail is a bit of a problem on this model - there's so much of it.

If you get through all that and still want a challenge - there are a set of tracks at which improve the original.