Good Size for a Beginner?

NewTrainGuy

Jan 22, 2008
Lacey, WA
Loren: I plugged the HOG layout to my wife and she sounds pretty excited to see me and the boy doing something together. While it doesn't have the large mass of square-footage that a 4x8 does, it still has a ton of room to do stuff. And that works for me. Plus building the benchwork (as opposed to laying a piece of plywood on top of a folding table) will give me some experience in the field, and that's never a bad thing. I have a friend who is big into carpentry and he has a load of tools and maybe a nugget of advise on how to avoid losing fingers; both of which he would probably willing to lend.

Squidbait: He intially recommended a 4x8 layout and a 4-axle train to go with it for a beginner, but then I described the HOG setup and emphasized the wider turning radiu..radium...radii...whatever, and he recanted his initial 4-axle recommendation and said that a 6-axle shouldn't have any problems. The one I chose was one of the more low-end and he gave me a 10% discount as it was my first train. I think it came out to 40 bucks or so with tax.

I see where you're coming from on the over/under/round n' round thing. While this is going to be something for my son to enjoy, this is also something I'd like to enjoy messing around with once it's done. Plus the HOG will be something at little easier to expand off of, if it comes to it.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
NTG, if it's for your son, it's even more important that the model railroad be more than a tail-chaser!

$40 is a deal for that loco, but I think you'll find that you're on a slippery slope. Locos are like potato chips - one is never enough! The E units were designed for hauling passenger trains, so now you've got an excuse to get some streamlined passenger cars, plus a new freight loco, and maybe a switcher or two... ;)

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Loren: I plugged the HOG layout to my wife and she sounds pretty excited to see me and the boy doing something together. While it doesn't have the large mass of square-footage that a 4x8 does, it still has a ton of room to do stuff. And that works for me. Plus building the benchwork (as opposed to laying a piece of plywood on top of a folding table) will give me some experience in the field, and that's never a bad thing. I have a friend who is big into carpentry and he has a load of tools and maybe a nugget of advise on how to avoid losing fingers; both of which he would probably willing to lend.

Cool:thumb: Your on your way. Good luck.

Loren

kokoracer

Nov 30, 2006
Springfield Mass. USA
www.angelfire.com
I started with a 4x8 and am now up to a 14x25 walkin layout. LOL I agree about staying away from the 4x8 plywood. Going around the walls makes the scenery easier to handle. You might also want to decide wheter to go with the traditional track or the newer roadbed track.

The old tiimers may curse me for it, but i would have never gotten in with the old style track. No patience or skills. I am sing the Bachmann EZ track nickel silver with good results. John

NewTrainGuy

Jan 22, 2008
Lacey, WA
Ok, so I have another quick question that relates to compatibility between brands of locomotives and individual cars. I have a Proto2000 locomotive and looking around eBay, I found these cars. Kind of a silly noobish question, but are the cars themselves compatible with one another?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Yes, to a point. HO is HO is HO... the big thing will be couplers. There are two types currently in use in HO, the "free" NMRA or X2F horn-hook coupler:
ATH90601-450.jpg

... or the knuckle-style (realistic looking) coupler:
5exp.jpg

Fortunately most equipment comes standard with the knuckle-style these days. Some older stock (especially kits, like those ConCor cars) will probably have horn-hooks - chuck em! They're easily replaced with knuckle style, and the little effort it takes to replace them is more than paid back in functionality.