Good ship for a first-timer

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by CMartin, Apr 18, 2005.

1. CMartin

CMartin New Member

I'm considering building a ship, preferably a waterline model of a warship.
    What would be a good model to start testing the waters? (Pun intended)

Thanks for your advice,

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Chuck, "welcome aboard", For starters try Digital Navy's freedownloads, The Admirable is a great warm up, it is a waterline kit, then proceed with the torpedo boat, which can be waterline or full hull. For commercial preprinted kits , there are a few easy gunboats etc from Modelcard on the various dealer's sites listed on the site here. Digital Navy's models are some of the best fitting of the card ships, there is no surprise factor of having to patch up parts that do not fit well. Good luck, ted
  3. CMartin

CMartin New Member

Thanks for the input Ted. I'll do that.

Meantime, I've been checking our German sister site Kartonbau and those guys have awesome ship construction reports. Incredible precision and attention to details.

Thanks again,

4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

5. CMartin

CMartin New Member

Re: Good ship for first-timer

Thank you Jim, I'm gonna download one of David's ships and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted.

Incidentally, if you are the Jim Nunn whose Panzer construction reviews I have seen in Saul Jacob's website, my hat off to you, sir. You're truly a master card modeler.

I have always wondered how you manage to work on a single detail for hours at a time without having a nervous breakdown.

Card modeling has taught me that my impatience to finish the model can be my worse enemy.

Thanks again for the input.

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Yes I’m guilty of that, and thank you for the complements.

“I have always wondered how you manage to work on a single detail for hours at a time without having a nervous breakdown.â€

That’s a good question the answer is that I don’t put in hours of continuous time on a detail. I work in relativity short time frames. I’ll spend an hour or so working on a detail and then switch to another detail and work on it for a while. I do spend hours thinking about how I will build a section of a model, the build seldom goes as planed but I do have a plan.

The most important rule I have is that I always try to work on a model every evening. An hour here a couple of hours there and before you know it the model is finished.

Jim Nunn
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I know you said you wanted a warship but this model just came out:

and comes with a great tutorial. it uses some very neat ideas in paper modelling; the layered solid formed lower hull really impressed me,

Anyway worth checking out if nothing else for a great tutorial on technique.
  8. CMartin

CMartin New Member

Good ship for first timer

Thanks guys for the input.

You're right. I'll try your system from now on. I used to put in a half hour here and a full hour there but then, on my days off, I would go on a build marathon. Your way makes more sense. Better results and no fatigue-induced mistakes. Thanks.

Great site. You're right, the tutorials alone are worth it. Thanks for the info. Great tips, ideas and techniques.