Good morning from the UK

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Triplex said:
Do not solder rail joints together. Changes in temperature will cause the track to buckle. The advice given by "advanced" modellers for solving poor-conduction problems would be: Run wires under the table, connecting feeders to every other section, or ideally every section, of rail. This assumes you're using 3' flextrack sections. It also probably assumes a large layout with a long mainline...

God point Triplex.

Allthough I have never had a big temperature change in my Railway room , and I do not solder all the joints.
I do agree that extra feed wire is a must on any railway. :thumb:

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
My First Tree
t10ay.jpg

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
f11nc.jpg
I have now tryed various methods of connecting rail to gether.with Conectors,

Conectors and solder, solder on its own,but i have found the best way for me, is to place a small square of sheet brass (Tined on one side first].under the track,then apply a hot iron and let the Solder WASH onto the bottom of the Rail.This I found needs very little cleaning up
What do you Think??jawdrop

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Tony: They do run better with a bit more weught. We ran a few goods trains the other week on a layout that sees mostly passenger and the cars bounced all over the junction. The NMRA has a weight formula for HO cars (Can't remember exactly; so many ounces plus a half ounce per inch.) Also, you may find that a bit of weight helps with coupling. Try a penny or two in each car, a pound in the bogie wagons. Then try to conceal them.
Soldering warning: You should have a heat sink on the rails each side of the joint. I use a pair of roller track gauges; they absorb heat and allow the sleepers to keep the rails in gauge when they harden.
Just noticed: you're in N. That's the Peco code 55 track? Ignore my currency amounts!

tonyevans

Dec 17, 2005
Ooops!:eek:ops: I have just realised why I have had trouble with joining track.There ARE different Joiners.Below is a pic of the ones I bought (red Cross) can anyone tell me the Make of the two sorts in the pic please .as I am sure the (Blue tick )ones will work great
25ej1.jpg

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Like everything else in this hobby, the type of rail joiners you use is one of personal preffrence,,,but from your pic/line drawing they look like Atlas, or peco, but either will work very well, personaly I use Peco I find they hold fit better, mind you I use Peco flexitrack as well, the Atlas joiners need a verry slight tap with my track hammer(just like ajusting the gap of a spark plug,)to get them to hold fast...
I hope this helps, tonyevens...have a good one..steve

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The ones you don't like look like Wrenn. My own preference is Peco as the fit more tightly. Make sure you match them to the rail code, as Peco make so many. I would definitely avoid the ones with the flanges on top.