Good Golly, Molly! Look What Just Arrived!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The Marx 666 just arrived a few minutes ago. It's still sitting on the track warming up from it's long, cold trip. Gonna test drive her later. Didn't stop me from taking pics though. ;)

Also, is there a way to turn the smoke unit off? I don't see a switch anywhere but I don't have anything to make her smoke and I don't want to burn it out. What smokes well in old Marx locos?

Attached Files:

2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I use plain old mineral oil from a drugstore or pharmacy. I don't think it works as well in Lionel smoke units as it does in Marx, but I think it works very well in Marx.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Also, watch the throttle. Marx engines run faster than Lionels do, so don't set the throttle as high as you're used to setting it for Lionel. The 666 isn't as fast as some of the Marx jackrabbits, but I think it'd still beat any Lionel I own in a race.
  4. Cannonball

Cool! I'll run up to the store later and try that. :)
    Man, you really should write a book with all the stuff you have in your head about trains.
    It definately moves. I think it will run better once I do the loops for the transformer like we talked about. I've got some slow spots in my tracks that are noticeable with all my engines. The Marx's headlight flickers quite a bit too. It's not getting an even current somewhere.

Funny out of all the engines, the Beep seems to run the best so far. It's major problem is stalling on one switch about every fifth lap.

I ended up taking out one set of switches as well. The trains seem to run a little better and the switches were making all kinds of noise. The layout is still capable of two trains, you just can't enter the inside loop through the west end anymore.
  5. Cannonball

Tried the mineral oil for smoke trick. It definately works but doesn't last very long. I think I was putting a drop in about every minute or so. Is this normal?
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Hmm. I wonder if the consistency of the oil makes a difference, but I usually put in more than a drop. Probably more like 5-6 drops.
  7. Cannonball

Ah... that might explain it. I was going easy so I didn't drown it out.
  8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Congratulations on a nice looking engine. Is that a cast metal engine? I've always thought those were nice looking engines. They pull good for not having traction tires or magnatraction. They're rugged too, which is good if you want an engine for little kids to play with.

9. Cannonball

Yeah, she's metal alright. And hefty! Just the way I like 'em! :D
    I had it running 6 cars tonight counting the coal tender and caboose. She took those with no problems so tomorrow we'll try more. :thumb:

As far as kids go, my daughter loves the smoke.
    "ooooooohhhhhh..... Lookit that, Daddy!" :D