Good deal on art knife at Office Depot (US)

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I was looking around at Office Depot on my lunch break and spotted this handy little set (yes, the photo is from Staples - it's not on OD's web site):

The shelf tag said $4.79, but it rang up $5.29 at the cash register - still not bad a bad price. I mentioned this to the manager, who happened to be working the register, and he marked it down to $4.79. I don't know anything about Staedtler art knives, but their other products seem to be good quality. Just thought I'd pass this on if you happen to be near Office Depot.
  2. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I like the look of the handle. Looks like it is a bit chubbier than most.
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

It's rubberized and maybe a tiny bit thicker than the X-Acto aluminum handle, but it's not a metal handle with a rubber coating. Looks like plastic handle with a metal screw connector to attach the blade chuck to the handle.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

When I was working as a designer during the 80's and 90's I would order a lot of our drafting supplies from Staedtler/Mars.
    They definitely produce high quality products in my opinion.
    Although they didn't have this product back then and I've never used it, I would expect it to be top notch.
    The cutting mat is a little small for my tastes but this would definitely be a great set for someone starting out in this hobby.
    Come to think of it though, I've paid more than that, just for a good handle!

5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I thought the little mat might be a good size to throw into an overnight bag, or briefcase to catch a little card modeling over lunch or somewhere away from home.
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Good idea!
    Also, one can never have too much stuff in the modeling arsenal!

7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Just thought I'd follow up and mention a few things about this set. The knife handle is pretty flimsy. It bends kind of easily. On the other hand, the blades are about the sharpest I've ever used. I haven't used a scalpel, but I can't imagine it being sharper than this blade. However, the blade isn't as rigid as an Excel blade and can bend a little when cutting curves. The little pad is nice and as good as any other cutting pads I've used. All in all, I'd say the set was worth $5 or a little more, but I wouldn't recommend the knife itself.
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I got one for myself :grin:
    Maybe the knife isn't as rigid as Xacto but I kind of like the feel of it.
    After all, we need this blade for delicate work, not carving wood :grin:
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

That's true! I do have an heavy hand, anyway. :)