Gondola Train

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
A while back I decided I needed more gondolas. After a short buying spree on EBay I had a few more. The other night I felt like getting out all the 50 footers that I have not run in a while. So here they are passing the Cement Distributor.

Atlas B&O RS-1
gon_train002a.jpg

Atlas B&O RS-1
gon_train003a.jpg

Athearn B&O Double Door 50’ Boxcar
gon_train005a.jpg

Athearn L&N 50’ Gondola
gon_train007a.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Lookin' good, Tom. :thumb: I always enjoy seeing RS-1's and I'm also glad to see that you managed to include the L&NE. I picked up a L&NE roadname set, including the "fried egg", from Champ, and I have a car in mind for it. It'll be the older paint scheme though.
Incidently, I have a "runby" in my camera, inspired by your features such as this one, but I may show only snippets of it, if the pictures turn out, since it's a 71 car train.:D

Wayne

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
TomPM, it´s really some wonderful rollin' stock you got and thanks for the pictures!
I like the used look of the wagons. Have you weathered them by yourself?
If so, how did you do it?
By the way, the RS 1 looks great. One of my favorites :)

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
The black Frisco looks great. However your weathering sure produces some great results.

What I really admire about your layout is the textures in the scenery. It really makes for some realistic scenes. Your weathering is the same - no two cars seem quite the same - which to me adds realism. I like the variation in rust, grime, dents, etc. Really looks good. Do you use an airbrush? Dry paint? Chalks? I'm sure you divulged your secrets before - I just couldn't find the thread - but I'm interesting in learning how you get the weathering accomplished...it looks great.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks folks1

Herc Driver said:
The black Frisco looks great. However your weathering sure produces some great results.

I screwed up several of the grab irons (aka broken them) during the building process. I had to heavily weather the car to cover them up.:D

Herc Driver said:
Do you use an airbrush? Dry paint? Chalks? I'm sure you divulged your secrets before - I just couldn't find the thread - but I'm interesting in learning how you get the weathering accomplished...it looks great.

All of the above except chalks. I also use washes. I try to vary what I do with the various cars. Most cars get a wash and airbrushing. Some will get rust streaks and other markings dry-brushed. I also use various colors in the washes and airbrush. I almost always use Folk Art Charcoal Gray. The other colors are Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Asphaltum, Dark Gray, Light Gray, and Country Twill.

I will add add to the "to Do" list to a post on weathering.

I did write a series of articles on weathering an open hopper for Railroad Forum Magazine. You can find them at: http://www.railroadforum.com/magazine/contents.html . There are five parts to the articles. Look in the old issues for 1 thru 3. Part 5 is due to come out shortly.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
:thumb: Never ceases to amaze me...Great shots of those gons...However, the LV is about to cause a major disaster...

Keep up the excellent work...!!!

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I´ve been looking at your pictures again and can´t stop being amazed.
The B&O Bay Window Caboose is the most brilliant. It looks so absolutely real :)

TomPM, I wonder, can I use a couple of those pictures on my website?
Of course I give you the full credit for the pictures.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Again thanks!

steamhead said:
:thumb: Never ceases to amaze me...Great shots of those gons...However, the LV is about to cause a major disaster...

I was wondering when someone would catch that!:D There is one more you know.

That car gave me fits trying to get to stop that. It would go around the layout several times with no problem and then it would happen again. Finally got it fixed after a little trail and error.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
steamhead said:
Hey Tom...!

I've got these vast expanses of white terrain waiting to see how you paint your rocks...

I am getting there. I started the other night and just am not getting time to devote to it. Also with Rail Images being down for several days I have a back log of photos to upload.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
TomPM said:
Again thanks!

I was wondering when someone would catch that!:D There is one more you know.

I saw the LV one first time through, too, but I missed the L&N headin' for the weeds.:)
It's funny how easy it is to miss those kind of things when you're shooting the picture, but I often also miss it when I'm viewing the picture. It's usually not until after I post a photo that I see the problem.:eek:ops:

Wayne