Gondola & Flat car loads

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Blake, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Blake

Blake Member

Someone on the HO section was asking about loads so I posted this. Thought my fellow Optivisor wearin' N scalers would like to see them too. The first one has debris in it (2 pics), the second one has a scratch built machinery load with a parts crate (2 pics) and the last one is a flat with 2 scratch built crates and an unused tie down strap on the deck (2 pics).

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That's some really excellent modeling Blake!
    I especially like the bent-up sides on the gon...whether you planned that, or it was some kind of "happy accident", it's a great effect, & very prototypical for a veteran frieght car that's had a lot of really heavy stuff slammed down into it...
    I think I've said this before, but it's guys like you that have pushed N scale into the realm of "finescale" modeling.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  3. Blake

Blake Member

Thanks Charlie, I appriciate the compliment.
  4. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Great looking loads on very relistic looking gondola and flatcar.
    I hope one day will come that I will be half as good as you are with detailing.

5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Excellent work Blake! :cool:
  6. Blake

Blake Member

Thanks guys.
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Great work on those loads! How did you make the crates?
  8. Blake

Blake Member

I used Evergreen scribed siding and trimmed them with Evergreen strips. I painted them a very dark brown (almost black) and then drybrushed them with depot buff and then aged concrete.
  9. Blake

Blake Member

The large machine in the one gon is just a bunch of scrap styrene (mostly model spues) glued together and covered with white glue soaked tissue. The small crate in the gon with it was made from wood.
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Impressive, maybe someday I'll have the courage to try something like that. At least I know what level to shoot for. Great stuff....:)

11. JMD3

JMD3 New Member

Great work on the loads. I like the weathering on the gondolas too. Is the deck on the flat original or one of the laser cut wood detail parts?

12. UP_STEVE

UP_STEVE Member

those look great!
  13. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I like...

...the blocking fore and aft of the large cases on the flat car Blake. The load in the gon- well, I like it but the "JGL" apparently transmission parts enroute to the John Galt Line of Gary P. Pfeil must have been painted on with rollers.

As a fellow nitwit, I mean- nitpicker- uh- get a microscope and repaint the tarp so I beleive it's not a billboard. By the way, do they sweep out those gons when they get back to the yard or are my digi-photo-optivisors not working so good not no more?:D

Mark (A concerned guy who needs to build a railroad) :cool: