Golden Era Aircraft

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by DANGEROUS, May 2, 2007.

DANGEROUS New Member

One of my interests is american military aircraft of the 1930's. Does anyone know if there are any "1/33rd scale" card models out there of the Boeing F4B-4 or the Grumman F3F-3 for example. I've seen Digital Navy's Boeing P-26 and it looks great. But it's only one of several that I'm looking for.
  2. dfarrell

dfarrell Member had a reprint of the Grumman F3F-1 from modelik on their reprint page, but I don't see it there now. You may whant to send them an e-mail to see if they still have it, (or maybe I just didn't see it ..)

DANGEROUS New Member

You're right, does carry a reprint of the Modelik Grumman F3F. They also carry a reprint of the Modelik Seversky P-35. I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Thank You.
  4. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

I have both of those kits, and the printing seems quite good, as good as the original I would guess. I like the quality of the paper. Not much detail in the cockpit area on either one, but both look like they would make pretty decent models.

DANGEROUS New Member

I just ordered the F3F and the P-35 from this morning. I "think" I can ( using photoshop and a pl#stic model as a reference) improve upon the interior detail. GB, your build thread on the F3F was great and inspiring as usual. Seeing how wonderful it turned out made my decision to buy the kit an easy one. My thanks again to everyone.

DANGEROUS New Member

Just a thought for a possible future re-color project of the F3F...
  7. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Yeah, that would be cool. I built that one as a kid from the Monogram plastic kit. When you turned the propellor the landing gear operated. That was back in the days when plastic models had action features that almost made them more like toys than models.
  8. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I'll have to find the article and re-read it, but IIRC, an old Scale Modeler article said that the Gulfhawk used the wing of the F2F, which has a slightly different size and shape. I was planning on doing an enlarged repaint of a combination of the F3F and F2F parts I have (from a site I've forgotten. Anyone remember a page with the SF-1, F2F-1, FF-1, and F3F-2 in 1/200 scale for the USS Saratoga?)

Scott K.
  9. k5083

k5083 Member

I have those too, but I don't remember where I got them. They are remarkable little models. Even though they are in 1/200, they are vector-drawn and remarkably detailed right down to the individual serial numbers. I enlarged one of them to 1/72 and it built just fine and looked just as good as a Marek or Zarkov model. I would not hesitate to try it in 1/50 or even 1/33, maybe using the engine, landing gear, cockpit, and other detail parts from another kit.

Other than the kits mentioned and a few Fiddlers Green efforts, the pickings for this era are mighty slim. I agree we need a few good Boeing and Curtiss fighters from the interwar years, as well as some Hawkers, Faireys, and Glosters from the UK. One model that you might consider building in this regard is the Hawker Hart from the book "Classic Paper Planes" by Johnson & Austin (1989), if you can still find it. The 10 models in this book were beautifully drawn and nicely detailed. They could benefit from being scanned and printed onto heavier cardstock, as well as some redesign of the wings where scale appearance was sacrificed for purposes of making them flyable. Besides the Hart, it contained several other interesting and obscure early aircraft that have not been done by other publishers. There is also an even harder-to-find sequel, by the same author, called "Historic Paper Planes" but it mostly featured WW2 and later subjects that have been done by others (although if I ever see one cheap I will get it just for the Fairey Barracuda).

DANGEROUS New Member

I did some looking around for those two books, but with little luck I'm afraid. The Hawker Hart does look like an interesting subject.
  11. k5083

k5083 Member

There is actually a copy of the first one available on ebay now at a decent price.

12. Migk

Migk New Member

You can visit ************, there are very interesting models, some like you are looking for.