Going to Baltimore!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am going to baltimore maryland for a couple classes. it will be spanning a weekend and I thought I would see if anyone lived in the area and wanted to hook up for a cold beverage of choice! Any suggestions of fun stuff to do would be cool too :) I hope to headdown to D.C for a day.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

man, couldn't get another city for the training?

No baseball yet, so the Capitols and the Orioles are out, and it is too cold to properly enjoy the Inner Harbor

could go out to Annapolis and see the USNA

DC has many choices, NASM, the other Smithsonian museums, the War Memorials.

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Naval academy! Are you crazy? I spent my time in the navy already ;) I do hope to spend some time at the smithsonian :) How far away are you? I dont know my geography out there very well...
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

60 to 90 minutes north of baltimore, on I-95

Quaint little state, called Delaware

5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Slow down to speed limit when you hit Cecil County!

Headquarters of the State Troopers located there and they will get you!

6. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

When you get back I will have to look you up when I go to Maddison. I will have to travel their once in awhile for the company. Have a safe trip.
  7. DrBill

DrBill Member

Chris: Congratulations! Bal'mer is my home town, and I'll probably retire on the Eastern Shore of MD one of these days. You might try a visit to the SS John W. Brown, which is usually open for tours at least part of the weekend. You can find info at http://www.liberty-ship.com/ (a fairly primitive and hard to navigate site). The Brown is one of only two surviving Liberty Ships from WW II (the other being the Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco), and it takes on passengers for living history cruises during the warmer months, But just a tour of the ship is worth it. The ship is docked at Pier One on the east side of the harbor in the 2000 block of South Clinton Street. Call 410-558-0646 for info on times when they will be open. There are a couple of photo pieces on my website (www.geoghegan.us) if you want to get a preview of what the ship is like.

The Inner Harbor is quiet during the winter, but there is a WW II sub to tour, the USS Constellation (a 19th Century US Navy frigate -- the cannon firing drills on the tween decks is not to be missed if they're putting them on in the off season. Then there's the National Acquarium (part of the Smithsonian), and the Martin aircraft museum (Glenn L. Martin Company through to today's Lockheed-Martin) at Middle River just east of the city. (I worked there for 6 summers as a college intern.)

There's the National Cryptographic Museum down I-95 toward Washington, and plenty of art galleries, etc.

Sorry to sound like a Chamber of Commerce shill, but Baltimore is an exciting city if you know where to look.... Have fun!
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent! I will have to check some of that out - pity I only have a weekend and probably a friday afternoon. If I was younger I could check out the night life but I will prolly stay in my hotel room and work on card models after class :) I will take lots of pics and maybe make a website if I find anything card modely/airplane related. I hope to hit the NASM for sure - anyone looking for pics of anything?
  9. DrBill

DrBill Member

Oh, and not to forget one of the really neat downtown attractions, there's the B&O Railroad Museum with an incredible range of historic locomotives dating back to (and including ) the Tom Thumb. It's a 2-hour visit in the winter and it's right downtown near the Convention Center.

Also, if you go to a halfway decent restaurant, get some Maryland crabcakes. You want recommendations, I got 'em -- including a couple real close to BWI.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am flying into BWI. I will be staying at the Sheraton that I am told is really close. I rarely get to eat seafood that I love because both my kids and my wife hate it so yes! please recommend me! :D
  11. DrBill

DrBill Member

Chris: There are a couple of Sheratons in the downtown area (nothing by the airport until one opens in May). Give me a holler off-line at whg01@optonline.net and I can fill you in without clogging up the list.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

So no one in the area wants to hook up for a cold one or a trip to the smithsonian or anything? You must all be a bunch of electrons zipping about the internet. I am not sure if you really even exist - heck, do I exist? :D
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dude...............have fun, it just too cold for me............. 67 degrees today on the temp-o-meter. I love it.

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Travel is canceled. Corporate mandate that there is no longer enough money in the budget for air travel and hotels - yet they can afford a corporate jet for the executives....