Going to attempt making a LIFE SIZE Yamaha DragStar Classic 11 PaperCraft

paper_plumber

Hi folks,

I'm going to attempt to make a life size PaperCraft of the 'Yamaha DragStar Classic 11' and would reinforce the same using fibre glass etc. I have a few questions that I would like to ask you all before I start this experiment!

1. What is the scale of yamaha PaperCraft that are available on their webpage? I believe its 1:6.7 (Please correct me if i'm wrong)
2. Has anyone ever attempted doing this or something similar? If yes, could you please direct me to that blog / url etc.?
3. How do I reinforce the parts to make sure it lasts long!

I have been making paper crafts since 12 years now and this is the Yamaha DragStar Classic 11 I made a few years back (original size from Yamaha website):
2H7A0526-2.JPG

alang

Hi there PP, this sounds like a major project!

As you see from my avatar, my preference is to make things smaller, not bigger, but maybe I can help in a small way.

1. As far as I know the Yamaha models are not precise scale, but adjusted aesthetically to convey the right impression. However, the adjustments are relatively slight, so a reasonable scale can be assigned. I have always worked on the basis of 1:7, but your suggestion of 1:6.7 (5% larger) would probably be an equally good estimate.

2. The nearest thing I know of is that a few years ago Volker Preikschat scratch-built a Harley Chopper at full size, and described it (in German) on the Kartonbau.de forum:

http://www.kartonbau.de/forum/harle...erichte-fahrzeuge/board4-fahrzeuge/t23227-f9/

3. Volker's description may help you here.

Good luck with your plans - don't forget to let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Alan

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Big project. Really research it before you start. It will cost a fortune to make that. You could probably buy a real motorcycle with the final costs! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This will be interesting to see.
I am looking forward to seeing the build thread on this one.

paper hollywood

Yes, with paper models it's not a bad idea to do a test print or so to determine the precise scale, just to be sure. I never entirely trust printers. That is going to be an interesting project, all right. So is all the coloration going to come from your computer printer? That's going to be a lot of ink, if so. I think I'd be inclined to cheat a bit here and there by using a B&W print as a template, then paint some areas. Whatever you do, we'll be behind you all the way, Plumber.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I might even get large sheets of graph paper and for some parts, draw them out, using a small sheet of graph paper as reference, and spray paint it. :)