Going to Arizona on vacation first week of Nov.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
My wife and I are trading into a timeshare in Sedona. We'll be in Sedona from Saturday Oct. 30 to Sat Nov. 6. We then go to Williams for Saturday night & Sunday night. We'll be taking a ride on the Verde Canyon train while in Sedona. On Sunday we'll take the Grand Canyon Railroad trip to the canyon and a tour of the South rim. I think I want to visit Jerome while in Sedona, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. Anybody from Arizona who is familier with the area have any suggestions of what we should see or do?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ,

You're on the "right track" :D :D . We have been trying to find the time to go on the Verde Valley RR for a couple of weeks now, but have had too much other stuff to do. I keep putting it off, and we just might miss out on some nice scenery if we wait too long. Let me know the day you'll be going and maybe it will be enough of an incentive to find the time, and we can meet there. You can't beat Sedona any time of the year, but the Verde Valley is especially nice around now. We have taken the Grand Canyon RR to the Canyon several times and never get bored. We went two years ago and took the tour package that included one night in Williams, one at the Canyon, meals and a bus around the east side of the Canyon. We also took a second bus that took up to the west side. There isn't much to do in Williams, but if you go to Flagstaff, it is a unique town with the railroad running right through the center. You can get back to Sedona using route 89A through Oak Creek Canyon, you won't be disappointed. Flagstaff is only an hour or so from Sedona.

We haven't been to Jerome in quite a few years, but it keeps changing, It is by far the liveliest "ghost town" ever, but still worth the time. There are indian ruins between Cottonwood and Sedona, and Montazuma Castle cliff dwellings off of I17 near the Sedona turnoff. If you were going to spend a day or so in the Phoenix area, I can tell you more about where to go here. We live in Surprise, which is about 20 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix. We've live in the Phoenix area a good 40 years, so I'm sure I can get you pointed in the right direction. :) :)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Russ,
Sounds like you'll have a good time.
I can't add much more than Don mentioned, but if you find yourselves in the Prescott area Give me a shout, I'm just down the road.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Sedona - visit the artisans village "Tlaque Paque" - pronounced Tlokky Pokky.
South of Sedona - I second Montezumas well & castle (I prefer the well but they are in close proximity and can easily both be hit the same morning).
Jerome - an awesome little cliffside town. Take plenty of time to wander the streets and stores.
Prescott - same as Ray - Prescott is known as a main street town and has a very nice downtown square with lots of shops and history. I grew up there! Take time to have lunch in "The Palace" (an old saloon).
Williams - again, a fun main street town to wander the shops down both sides. If you catch it on the right weekend, there may be a car show on main street.
The Grand Canyon line has "wintered" the steam engine and so you will be "dieseling" it to the canyon.
Flagstaff - a very active mainline college town. The mainline will see as many as 4-6 freights per hour. Walk around San Francisco Street. There is a nice preserved steam engine next to the Station and I thought there was one other out by the fairgrounds but that was a long time ago and it may not be there anymore.
I'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head!!! Have a good trip!!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Sounds like a cool trip.Did it back in the early '90's
Gotta check out Winslow. BNSF has a yard there. Stayed at a motel across the way. Lots of train action....Meteor Crater isn't too far away.
Can't say much about Grand Canyon...One of those things pictures don't do it justice. Gotta see it in person...Totaly awesome!
Hope you have a nice trip.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
I won't make it to winslow. It is too far East, and I can't justify to my wife driving all that way to watch trains.
Russ,

Just go to Flagstaff. Any train that goes through Winslow also goes through there, only you don't get to see the trainyard. :( :(

If you do get to Prescott, you will of course go to Whisky Row, even if you don't drink, it is an obligitory destination. Around the corner on Gurly St. is a great museum including some very early structures. Prescott, like Jerome, has changed over the years, but they really haven't taken anything away so you still get the feeling of what it was like "back then". I remember Jerome when there were only a few shops opened and about one in ten houses were occupied, mostly by "hippies". The hospital was sitting up on the hill abandoned and in ruins. Now I guess the whole town is alive, that is except for the ghosts that now occupy the old hospital, which is now a hotel. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Uh, one thing, they are forecasting snow for up in the Canyon this week, it probably won't stay, but the point is, that the whole area is starting to get chilly, and the Canyon will probably get down to freezing at night so bring your woolies with you. :D The rest of the area, including Sedona will be brisk at best, but I'll say this, there is not a bad time of the year to go anywhere there, it is always totally enjoyable. We have done it many times and never get bored.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
We did a weather check and came to the conclusion that we would pack sweaters and winter coats. My memory of going through Flagstaff at various times of the year is that Flag was always chilly even in summer.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ,

I would suggest more than sweaters, try snowshoes. There is around 24" in Flagstaff, and snow on Mingus Mountain in Jerome and in Williams. This would mean that Cottonwood where the Verde Valley RR starts, and Sedona are both covered in snow. If there is snow in Williams, surely the Canyon will have snow as well. But, knowing Arizona, there's a good chance that the snow will be melted off in all but Flagstaff and Williams by the time you get here.

BTW, my wife and I were planning on taking the Verde Valley train with Russ next week, but I've opted for a date with an orthopedic surgeon instead. Seems like he has to go and fix a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Just when I'm finally caught up and can spend some time on my layout again, I find that I'll be out of commission for a good six to eight weeks. I will still be lurking, and will try to post as best I can when I can.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
It was 27 degrees here last night and I can see snow on the mountains to the north east.
It looks like it will be a sunny day today so it will most likely be melted by noon.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know if anyone from Arizona wil be able to answer before we leave in a few hours, but here goes anyway. I don't mind snow on the ground, but I'm presuming that it is not sticking to the roads, am I right? We are packing winter clothes, but I'm driving an 87 Firebird that I just finished building. It is a little challenging to drive it on wet pavement, but not too bad. I don't have chains for it, and I think driving it in snow might be a real thrilling experience!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ,

I'm assuming you are coming down I40. Lots of big rigs on that road so they have a tendency to clear it as quckly as possible. Same goes for I17. Usually if there are road problems we hear about it on the news, but there has been no newscasts regarding the need for chains or any other unusual driving conditions.

Just take it easy and have a great time. maybe we can get together the next time you have that time share in Sedona.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey Russ,

See you're back. How did it go in Sedona? I know it was cold up there, and possibly a bit of snow on the ground, but let us know how the trip and the ride on the Verde Valley RR went.