God's Wonderful Railway?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Mountain Man,
sign1 sign1 sign1

Militant Agnostic = I don't know and you don't either!
sign1 sign1 sign1
You are confusing god with religion. I only mean that you are being a creator.
As a (model railroad) god, I create. I don't hang around to watch my creations stoop and grovel before me. I'm more interested in moving on to bigger and better creations.
Although, I'd be pretty damned impressed if all the rolling stock got together and hummed hossia! :mrgreen:
I imagine that any real god would be more interested in creating than power tripping.

You summed it up really well !! It's all about creation, not punishment or power-tripping.

I work as a graphic designer for a magazine, so I'm constantly creating new layouts or creatively manipulating photos in Photoshop, etc. It's an awesome feeling, being able to create and try out new things.

This carries on with my layout as I try to create and add new features to it. I've also now either kit-bashed or repainted at least four of my older locos, so this has a strong creative aspect as well (especially when these conversions go well!:eek::mrgreen:).

Rob

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
You summed it up really well !! It's all about creation, not punishment or power-tripping.

I work as a graphic designer for a magazine, so I'm constantly creating new layouts or creatively manipulating photos in Photoshop, etc. It's an awesome feeling, being able to create and try out new things.

This carries on with my layout as I try to create and add new features to it. I've also now either kit-bashed or repainted at least four of my older locos, so this has a strong creative aspect as well (especially when these conversions go well!:eek::mrgreen:).

Rob

All well and good, but a modeler creates without any need to throw in religion. When I create something I like, I feel satisfaction, not a rush of religious ecstasy - and I haven't heard any harp music for a long, long time.

Agnostics At The Throttle, the railroad for everyone. Our motto: "Damn the signals - we're takin' her through!" :thumb:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
To carry the pun out a bit more, most of my trains are stuck in purgatory, waiting for an indulgence to set them free on my heavenly layout, whenever that comes into being.

Of course I'm a Lutheran and we don't believe in purgatory, so perhaps it's not such a great image...:rolleyes:

A fun thread, thanks for kicking it off Rob!

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To carry the pun out a bit more, most of my trains are stuck in purgatory, waiting for an indulgence to set them free on my heavenly layout, whenever that comes into being.

Of course I'm a Lutheran and we don't believe in purgatory, so perhaps it's not such a great image...:rolleyes:

A fun thread, thanks for kicking it off Rob!

Thanks for your feedback as well! It's been a great discussion, I just hope it doesn't stray into controversial waters though. Cheers, Rob

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
That last remark will not be taken kindly by Buddhists for Bullet Trains, nor by Scientologists Steaming Ahead. You do know about their chapter called Dianetics and Diesels, right? :cool:

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
FYI, there is a 4-page article on Pete Waterman and his new book, "A Train For Life" (or something to that effect) in the October issue of Hornby Magazine. (Hornby Magazine is a British MRR magazine that I get.)

This book is profiles Waterman's models and the man himself. It almost sounds like a kind of autobiography. Just thought I'd mention this as his name came up a couple times here.

Cheers, Rob

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
When I went to ST. Andrews church in Bayonne , There was a priest by the name of Father Martin who was into 3 rail O-gauge. When I was a kid he was summoned to work at the Vatican I believe he took the trains with him. A priest that replaced him was into fire equipment, so for a while there was an old fire engine parked behind the rectory.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
When I went to ST. Andrews church in Bayonne , There was a priest by the name of Father Martin who was into 3 rail O-gauge. When I was a kid he was summoned to work at the Vatican I believe he took the trains with him. A priest that replaced him was into fire equipment, so for a while there was an old fire engine parked behind the rectory.

A priest with a fire engine...I smell a morality tale lurking somewhere about "quenching the fires of Hell". Good thing he wasn't into septic tank pumping trucks... :cool: