Go have a look at a very well done B-17 by Tonino!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Leif Oh, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Possible source for Fly Model B-17

Anybody getting their appetites up for the old B-17G by Fly Model (No 30) that Tonino built should have a look at this source, the French "Model's Centrum". The edition is marked as "limited", and the price is similar to what Dustin payed, USD 43.58 (35 Euros), plus postage of course.

And now they'll probably run out before I gather enough courage to cough up that amount myself...

3. Tonino

Tonino Member

Files sliming done!

After some tries and cut-and-copy between my files I finally have something to post (without filling all the available web space) and share with you.

In parts bin you'll find 3 new files:

1) B17 replacements - the original parts I designed in a vectorial form (little file fully scalable without loss)

2 & 3) B17 interiors 1 & 2 - The repainted" parts in a low detail version. The bitmaps are compressed a lot to save space. The result is that they are very ugly :? . Consider them as a "preview". The "high quality" version is a better quality version of the images that I was able to resize to an acceptable dimension of 2MB. I'll send the "HQ version" to anyone interested (just ask me).

BTW - for those who already requested them: they are on the fly! :wink:
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Leif

Thanks to you mate my Pay Pal account is now 45 euros short on its balance :lol:

I would not hang around to much if you want to get one as I think a few card nuts on here will hit that one :lol:

Thanks for the link

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Tonino

Thanks for the wheel download ITS GREAT
    If possible when you have time I would love the other files :roll:

This is amazing what you have done for us and thanks again

6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Files are approved, happy downloading

7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Got them, one word WOW
    These will go great with the kit I have just bought :D
    Thanks mate

8. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

9. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Cecil

Go to the parts bin and hit download and save as target all files are there now.

Hope this helps

10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Tonino - great that you managed to get the parts uploaded, and many thanks! I particularly appreciated the gun bodies, and the wheels, since those are generic parts that I can use to great advantage in other projects. They are beatifully executed and I couldn't wish for better.

Rob - you're most welcome; glad you found the link useful! I've got my Fly Model B-24, which is "my plane". It is done in a very similar style, and will require a similar treatment as Tonino has subjected his Fly Model B-17 to, which will keep me occupied for a good long time, if I ever get to it, that is.

(You might well argue, in response, that "sour grapes" is a great strategy for continuing to be in a good mood. And you would of course be absolutely right!)

Best, Leif
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I just downloaded the files for B-17 plus Tonino sent me the hi-res version for the interiors.
    One word - WOW!!!!!!!!!!
  12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

:D Thank you Tonino! The parts are great. This will definitely make the kit a lot more detailed. Hopefully this will be all the motivation I need to finally start building this kit.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Many thanks Tonino!

The interiors will be the icing on the cake.

Now to solve the flat engine and flower petal cowl issues!

Best regards, Gil

P.S. To those who can't get the older Fly Model kit the GPM B-17G is physically identical to it but with a different color scheme (silver).
  14. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Do any of you have or know of a good scale drawing for the engines and mounts of this beast. when I get round to building her I might have a go at the engine bay and see what I can do :lol:

15. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Well like I said I really love B-17s so today I randomly checked Ebay and saw the Maly Modelarz B-17G with a few hours left and a few minutes ago I got the highest bid at $12.53. Now I've got all three B-17 kits that a know of as the GPM kit is also in the mail right now from HobbyFactory. Maybe I'm in a bit over my head :shock:
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

The engine used was a Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 rated at 1,200 HP at 25,000 ft. According to Gunston it was the G200 series which saw major production. I was thinking of doing an engine bash also. 3D engines are a requirement for this model. Who knows pretty soon we will have Tonino ordering a new kit...,

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Seems Dustin is the best candidate to do a review of the available B-17G kits...,
  17. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Modeling the Wright Cyclone

On the subject of engines, I've been thinking, for the B-24 Liberator, about using images of the Wright J-5 as a starter and make two rows of them.

Here's a little something to drool over. It's from the 3-D work of Griff Wason. (And there are some other exquisite 3-D aircraft & engine images to drool over there.)

You could make a first start, cheating a little, by using an existing picture of a P&W single row replica from Williams Bros, make two half-moon shaped rows, and add the pushrods. It would go a long way towards making things better.

18. Tonino

Tonino Member

if I only had the chance to see your gallery when I was working on my B17... the engines would have been much better.
    Next time...

Every day I discover a lot of inspirations looking around in this group. It's a real pity not having discoveered it before...

Really... I have a little new work in progress... but after having seen Gil's engines I'm a little hesitant...

OK I'll say: I'm working on Maly's Fokker Dr1 and I've already builded the engine (as well as the cockpit, BTW :wink: ) I only redesigned the parts, not altering their structure. But this is far away from Gil's cylindres. However I'll post some images soon...

And, Leif, what about your image resources? How do you find them?
    You cannot imagine how many times I fooled around to find some photo of the details I would like to improve!
    This is a modeller's heaven. I feel we will do a lot of great works togheter from now on.

Thanks to everyone, this is a great place!!! :D :D :D
  19. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Finding images is a matter of stealing time from what you really ought to do, isn't it...

The best way, I've found, is to use Google's image search. That way, you can scan the results very quickly to see if anything interesting has turned up. Most of it, of course, is trash, but it would have taken an inordinate amount of time sorting it out without the small images popping up.

From there on, it's the same as searching for scientific material - "the snowball method", one source leading to another. DO NOT FORGET TO COPY AND PASTE THE URL OF THE IMAGE into your "info" box of the image. Otherwise you'll never be able to find it again.

Good luck with the Triplane - and be sure now to make the engine really rotary. By the way, did you catch the beautiful 3-D images of the Triplane at Griff Wason's site above?

Gil's engine of course is outstanding. For us ordinary mortals, a quicker way to simulate cylinder cooling flanges is to make a long straight paper cylinder (or use a wooden dowel of suitable diameter), wrap it tightly with one layer of sewing silk, coat with a thin layer of glue to hold everything down, cut in suitable pieces, paint in black (or even better, Humbrols metal colours, which can be polished). Add pins for pushrods, and you're practically there! (See "Tummelisa" example.)

20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thanks for the compliment...., love to see pictures of your latest the Dr1. I plan on doing the R-1820-97 for the B-17G. Development should beging as soon as soon as my copy of "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II" by Graham White is delivered. This is probably among the top two books on the subject. The other one on the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 is the other.

I'll make do for now wth some of the photographs off the web. And perform perspective scaling which for 1:33 scale should work well. I'm not planning to do more than just the front view including gear box, constant speed hydraulic control, spark distribution rings, push rods and valve head and caps.

I also may make the cowls out of aluminum, a technique I developed some time ago so that cowls on paper models weren't a dead give away. It sounds difficult at first but after a few tries it becomes extremely easy to make them. You just have to know how and what tools to use. I digress as usual...,

Best regards, Gil

P.S. Yes it is a modelers heaven..., now should you tell a riend of just keep quiet about it?