Gmd 1

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This may be a tad off-topic, but the difference between A1A and C trucks that makes the axle spacing different is that on the C trucks there were 2 motors between one pair of axles and only one motor between the other pair. motors were mounted low and stuck out sideways from the axle. On the A1A truck, they didn't have a motor on the inner axle so spacing could be even; on the C, the motor on the inne axle had to go somewhere.
That was true of some early trucks, but there are many equal-spacing C trucks. Note that that kitbash is using Flexicoil C trucks!

Oct 25, 2007
Corunna,Ontario,Canada
Triplex I was thinking of using the trucks from an SD7 or SD9 depending on my luck in finding either one at the next train show,if I don't there will be other shows and besides I need to get the body parts as well.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
The 3-motor trucks from SD units or ALCO C-units are about 50% too long for the GMD-1. The wheelbase of those A-1-A trucks is very short, much like those on the RSC-2.

Oct 25, 2007
Corunna,Ontario,Canada
Glen and Squidbait thanks for the note,on the schematic that i have from CN Mechanical it shows the lenght of the trucks from centreline of the leading axel to the centreline of the trailing axel as 10'6" and the distance from the centre axel to centre axel of the trailing truck is 41'6" and the overlength of the gmd1 from knuckle to knuckle is 54'9"

Now if I can figure out how to upload or insert an image onto here it would of eliminated all of the above,as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
All the dimensions are here, and there's some side-elevation drawings here.

The wheelbase of the 3-axle Flexicoil truck used on the SD7's and 9's is 13' - 30% longer than the A-1-A's on the GMD-1. The SD40s and later trucks are almost a foot longer still.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The wheelbase of the 3-axle Flexicoil truck used on the SD7's and 9's is 13' - 30% longer than the A-1-A's on the GMD-1. The SD40s and later trucks are almost a foot longer still.

Thanks, I'll have to look at the RSC's trucks then and find another use for the SD.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Is there a difference between the trucks on a rsc-2/3 and an rsd 4/5? Atlas has offered the rsd 4/5 for many years off and on. You might be able to buy the trucks alone from them if they would work.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Is there a difference between the trucks on a rsc-2/3 and an rsd 4/5? Atlas has offered the rsd 4/5 for many years off and on. You might be able to buy the trucks alone from them if they would work.

Yes. The RSC trucks are equally-spaced axles with a 10' 6" wheelbase. The sideframes are different from those used on the GMD-1, but the spacing is the same.

The RSD's used a different style of C-C truck with unequal axle spacing, and a 12' 6" wheelbase.

Oct 25, 2007
Corunna,Ontario,Canada
Well just to let everyone know I went to the last show and didn't find too much in the way of parts for the project,but I didn't walk away empty handed either,My free items were a GP7,that I said was in pretty rough shape and the guy said take it,it's no good not even for parts,so I did and I took it apart and the motor wouldn't even turn,out it came from the frame and with a little gentle turning back and for it broke free,next test power and away it went,so it came apart got cleaned and looks nice and new now,so for nothing I got a motor that works,and the frame is ok now too after a lot of cleaning,the shell is being stripped of 5 layers of paint slowly,so it looks like I'll have some more fun playing around.Oh ya the pinesol tip does work nicely
The other free stuff was a SP trainmaster shell which will get stripped and become a SP Black Widow version and an athearn dummy switcher from which I can use the dual stacks for the gmd1 project and use the shell and chasis for a damaged locomotive load for a flatcar load or find another motor and have it running.

So that's all the news I have for today until the next show or find some good buys for the project from whereever..

Oct 25, 2007
Corunna,Ontario,Canada
Well it's been quite some time since the last train show and nothing new to report as of this posting,but hey there is a train show tomorrow so you never know what will pop up when you least expect it.So lets hope I find something or some parts.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here's a GMD1 in Victoria, BC. Taken summer of 1986. Note the truck axle spacing.
GMD1Vict1986002.jpg

GMD1Vict1986001.jpg