GMD-1 loco plans for kitbash

Gordon M. Craig

I am searching for drawings of the GMD-1 locomotive, preferably for N scale. I think I might be able to kitbash a passable A1A-A1A version of it using a SD-9 mechanism that I have. I'm getting frustrated!!

Thanks people!

Gord Craig

old railfans never die; they just lose track!

hswn

OSHOME issue #32 plans #247-1 and 247-2 are of the GMD-1's 247-1 is the B-B truck version 247-2 is the A1A-A1A version. you can reduce these to N scale with a photo copier.
OSHOME is the Ont. Socity of HO Model Enginers (I think I have that rite). I think these drawings are now out of print. However a number of them have been reproduced in the CN Lines magizine, here is a link to their site http://www.cnlines.com/line/index.html You may want to check with them as they may of done a artical on the GMD-1's and you may be able to get a back issue from them.
You can also try this link it is The Model Train Magazine Index. http://www.index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&cmdtext=GMD-1&MAG=ANY
I have a copy OSHOME #32 if you want to drop by, but I'm on the South Shore of Nova Scotia.
Brady

Gordon M. Craig

Thanks, Brady. I'll check out the CNLines list (I'm actually a member of it.) BTW I'd love to visit you, but either you or I am/are on the wrong ocean! :-D

hswn

I did a little more checking. Plans was Railroad Model Craftsman Sept. 1964. A quick check of modelers in your area may turn up someone with a collection of old mag. I may do a little more digging I did have duplicates of some of the OSHOME's
if I do you'd be welcomb to it.
Let us know how you make out. I've often thought of doing one of these in n scale, but first I want to do a pair of RSC-24's they were used here in Bridgewater.

Attachments

• cn RSC24.jpg
    cn RSC24.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 49

hswn

Please keep us informed how you go about doing this little gem. I'm not to proud to follow someone elses ideas in doing a scratch built or kit bash.
Brady

Gordon M. Craig

I have an SD-9 which I am thinking of kitbashing to a (passable) GMD-1 (A1A-A1A) If Kaslo or some of the others make a shell for the GMD-1, fine; otherwise I think it wouldn't be that hard to scratch-build a shell for it. (I hope!)

Gordon

Dan Crowley

Here is one I made. Chassis is a cut down LL GP 20. Shell is kitbashed from an SW 1200. It sure is not something you see every day in N scale

ajr.jpg

grumbeast

Thats a beautiful GMD-1 Dan,

I remember on my first visit to NS there were two of them switching the small yard in Dartmouth, its a pity they've gone now, they really are kinda neat.

Graham

siderod

Gordon,

If you do figure out how to do this, please let me know....WHRC, the local shortline, leased/borrowed two different units, 1423 and 1430, from CN. One (or both) came from the West Coast. They were the B-B Trucked versions though....

I would buy one, if a shell were available for a readly-available chassis.
AR

hswn

Rsc-24

I'm going from memory so don't quote me.
The RSC-24's were built, when CN asked for light diesels for light rail like the GMD-1's with A1A trucks. There were only 4 RSC-24's built. They were built useing prime movers that had been removed from FA units after they had proved to troublesome for passanger service, derated they seemed to serve fine. They were built on S type chassis, wth the electrical compartment moved to the short hood as CN had specified that they had to have hood both ends of cab for crew safty as these were to be used as road units on light rail, this wasn't needed in hind sight as they normaly ran double headed back to back.
One was rected in Quebec the remaining three ended up in Bridgewater Nova Scotia, which is were I live hince my interest. They were used on a brach line from the South Shore to the Valley from what I understand.
I think I can do a model useing a cut down RS-1 shell and RSC trucks. These trucks will not be correct as there trucks had the idler axle centered. I will most likely have to mill the frame if I'm to have it powered. If I do it I'll have to do two as they were used double headed, and I might need one for decoder one for motor. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to do one as there are many other things hirer on priority.
Brady

hswn

GMD-1 Shell

Andrew
Why don't you take your time and do up a real good GMD-1 shell and get James to cast some. I'd like one or two.
Brady

siderod

Brady,
Thats a good idea.....something i think i could pull off, too. And, a potential money-maker, too!
I guess it's time for ol' Siderod to start researching!

AR