Gluing sheet styrene question

aslan

May 16, 2006
Just bought 2 2" 4X8 sheets of styrene and had a very simple question: Can I just use carpenters glue for putting them together?
Thanks,
Stan

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
For a permanent bond I would use Testor's liquid styrene cement or Testor's in the tube. In my experience, carpenters glue only works with wood, cardboard or paper. CA or Walther's Goo might also work.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
I have used Elmers Carpenters glue - it worx great !!! I have used it.. It will be a static load as well , so its not as if your application were building a table or chair. Good luck Stan and welcome to the Gauge.

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'm a little confused on the dimensions: 2"x4'x8' sounds like pink foam or another insulating styrofoam. Styrene is a non-porous plastic material, usually used for building model structures and cars. I think it would cost a fortune for a 4'X8' sheet.

If it is styrene that you're asking about, then I would follow santafewillie's advice or head to your LHS to get one of the specific cements made for styrene. If it's foam, then you will want to use a contact cement intended for use with extruded foam. A hardware shop should be able to help you; Liquid Nails is a product that I have heard mentioned frequently for this use, but I can't remember the specific line. Regular carpenters glue isn't a great product for this application as the insulating properties of the foam inhibit the air ciruclation required to dry. Also, you should not use any solvent based product on the foam (including certain kinds of cement and spray paint) as it will eat away at the foam and potential release harmful fumes.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much, but I just wasn't sure it was styrene that you were asking about.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If you're talking about extruded foam, there is a specific adhesive available for it that won't dissolve it. You'll need a caulking gun to apply it. One brand is by Liquid Nails, but make sure to get the stuff made for foam.
If what you refer to is actually styrene, use either a liquid cement like Testors, or use what I use: lacquer thinner. It's cheap (about $10.00 for a gallon), and you can also use it to thin solvent based paints, like Floquil, Scalecoat, and SMP Accupaint. A 4'x8' sheet of .060" styrene is about $25.00 - $30.00 around here, considerably cheaper than buying it in small packages if you use a lot. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th sheet.:D

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Jac's Lines said:
I'm a little confused on the dimensions: 2"x4'x8' sounds like pink foam or another insulating styrofoam. Styrene is a non-porous plastic material, usually used for building model structures and cars. I think it would cost a fortune for a 4'X8' sheet.

If it is styrene that you're asking about, then I would follow santafewillie's advice or head to your LHS to get one of the specific cements made for styrene. If it's foam, then you will want to use a contact cement intended for use with extruded foam. A hardware shop should be able to help you; Liquid Nails is a product that I have heard mentioned frequently for this use, but I can't remember the specific line. Regular carpenters glue isn't a great product for this application as the insulating properties of the foam inhibit the air ciruclation required to dry. Also, you should not use any solvent based product on the foam (including certain kinds of cement and spray paint) as it will eat away at the foam and potential release harmful fumes.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much, but I just wasn't sure it was styrene that you were asking about.

Actually plastic suppliers will have styrene in 4'x8' sheets of various thicknesses. One of the guys in the modular club I belong to buys the large sheets and has them cut in quarters. Then he sells the excess to club members who want it. It is much less expensive that way than the little packages you get from the hobby shop. I would bet Evergreen gets their styrene in 4'x8' sheets by the truckload and then they cut it up into the small sheets they put in the packages.

aslan

May 16, 2006
Thanks guys!

aslan said:
Just bought 2 2" 4X8 sheets of styrene and had a very simple question: Can I just use carpenters glue for putting them together?
Thanks,
Stan
Used wood glue last night and it worked great.
Appreciate all of the information.
Stan

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Stan -

Was it in fact the extruded styrofoam (i.e. pink or blue 2" thick stuff)? If yes, Jac's advice about the glue is very relevant - it will take weeks to fully dry (if ever) because the glue aourn the outside dries first, and prevents air from getting into the centre of the joint.

Guys at the local modular club build with the extuded styrofoam all the time, and they generally now use the Gorilla type glues (polyurethane) with better results. One other option is latex caulking, but it too may have some drying issues.

Andrew