Gluing bulk heads

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jrts, Mar 12, 2004.

1. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi to all

Iam new to this so cut me some slack.
    A problem I seem to have while building aircraft models is that when I glue the bulk heads (or dividers) into place they nearly always show through the outter skin of the model. Can you know how types point me in the right direction to avoid this, as I have scrapped about five so far as they just don't look right. Any help would be great as i'am fed up with scrapping them.

thanks in advance

2. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

I'm not that far myself, but if I can help I sure will. Is your model one you downloaded and printed, or one you bought? Just wondering if it is downloaded maybe the paper you printed it on is too thin.

Also, what kind of glue are you using and how much? If it saturates the paper that could make it semi-transparent

I'm sure you'll get the answers you need - the group on this forum is second to none!

3. Texman

Texman Guest

A little more definition of "showing through" might help. Is it that the
    formers seem to big for the fuselage and are "breaking through"? If
    that is the case, I too had this problem. But through the knowledge and
    kindness of others, here is what I found. Once you have glued the former
    to a suitable thickness of extra card, cut it out just INSIDE the black
    outline. Then gently sand it to its final shape before inserting it into the
    fuselage section. I color the edges of both the fuselage and the former,
    just to make it a little less visible.

Hope it helps

4. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

well that would make more sense than what I imagined he meant

had a few drinks before replying last night :wink:
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'showing thruough', but as Texman mentioned, the easiest way to prevent the show through in most cases, is to color the edge of the cut on the model part and on the bulkhead, or former part. I generally use watercolors for that, and apply it with a thin paint brush. I have watercolor pencils I dab the paint from, and also a small kit of various colors when I want to be 'creative' and try mixing the proper color. However, I have also found that using a #2 lead pencil lightly along the edges does just as good a job and hides the seams and show through portions almost as good as matched colors do.