Glueing Foam Board to Benchwork

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi guys

I just got back from buying 10 sheets of 1" blue foam from Lowes.

Ive never glued the foam down before to my benchwork, ive always just folded duct tape in circles so the sticky side is all the way around and stuck one side on the foam and the other against the benchwork :eek: i know i know crappy hahahah

well this time i want to do it right, so what adhesives do you guys use to glue your foam to your benchwork???? :confused: :confused:

steamhead

Hi...I use Liquid Nails for PROJECTS - the one with the red bottom half on the tube. I also use it to glue foam to foam....Works great..!!

e-paw

liquid nails works fine, and so does hot glue. Either way you can't go wrong. They're both better than tape

Pooh Bah
How permanent do you want it? :mrgreen:

I use the green (water-based, non-toxic, solvent-free) contact cement. This has the downside that you have to get it right the first time.
I've also used that scenic paste that's like thick latex paint. Haven't done this for a while, but it is good for foam that is supported. May also hold stuff underneath, but there is a drying time factor.
A lot of mine is held by assorted pins through the foam into Homasote.

Kevinkrey

Do you still work at Menards? Look for the cheapest construction adhesive you can find, read the tube, and find one that says it will work on foam or insulation board or stuff to that nature. The cheap ones (like I buy:thumb:) are usually cheaper, and come in bigger tubes, look for PL200 or PL400, Ive been using the PL200 for adding a hill recently, and it eats up the foam, but it still holds great after curing for a day.

zachary

hi trucklover i use the cheapest latex caulk i can find it works great for almost everthing i even used the same stuff to lay my track and foam roadbed oe this helps zachary

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks everyone

I just got back from Lowes, I picked up 2 tubes of Liquid Nails Projects, they were a $1.87 a tube so i got 2 of them and i also got a cheap-o caulking gun for $1.97 lol

Jim Krause

Sometimes cheaper is better, sometimes it ain't. I've had problems with some "less expensive" (cheap) caulking guns. Good luck.

Kevinkrey

Yea, I second that about the caulking guns, the other day I saw instructions on the side of mine, and thought, instructions? What am I dumb? Well appearantly I am, because the gun, I didnt know has a cutter to cut the tube, a poker to break the inside seal, and a few other features that I cant remember. My cheapo has none of that.

Kanawha

Liquid nails is definitely the best in my opinion, but its pricey. I also used wood glue once, seemed to work alright. Good luck!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks guys, the Liquid Nails i got is less then $2 a tube lol

Yea, I second that about the caulking guns, the other day I saw instructions on the side of mine, and thought, instructions? What am I dumb? Well appearantly I am, because the gun, I didnt know has a cutter to cut the tube, a poker to break the inside seal, and a few other features that I cant remember. My cheapo has none of that.

No kidding? Dang my cheapo gun is only the gun itself lol, no fancy tools and accessories :rolleyes: Guess you do get what you pay for lol, the one right next to it on the shelf was $12.50 and it looked like it had all those accessories but i only had $10 cash on me lol so i bought the cheapo gun, all well, it works and it gets the job done :mrgreen:

There is also a Liquid Nails product specifically for foam boards. It's more expensive than the "for Projects" stuff, and either one works fine.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
There is also a Liquid Nails product specifically for foam boards. It's more expensive than the "for Projects" stuff, and either one works fine.

lol, thats the stuff i had in my hands when i first saw the Liquid Nails products cuz i was looking for the "for projects" one and didnt see it, but i found the "for projects" one down further on the shelf, Typical Lowes, nothing makes sence, Same products arent all next to each other, there all mixed up lol. Thats how it always was when i worked at Lowes in the Lumber Building Materials department, nothing was together, everything looks like its just randomly thrown on the shelf which i never fully understood why we did that..... all well lol

steamhead

I find the same "arrangement" to stocking shelves in HD....Last tine I purchased the LN for Projects I had to look all over the adhesives shelves for it. Took me so long to find it I had come to the conclusion that it'd been dicontinued.....

nolatron

I use Hot Glue and Liquid Nails depending on the job.

Hot Glue you have to be quick with before it cools, so I mostly use it for quick small pieces of foam that I can simply put some glue and stick in place.

Everything else I use a thin layer of Liquid Nails for Projects. Plenty of work time and once dried it doesn't come up easily.

steamhead

I also use hot glue now and then...for smaller pieces mostly, like Shaun says...What I hate is ...IT'S HOT....keep it off your fingers...!!!

Russ Bellinis

Yellow glue works fine with foam & wood. In fact as a rule of thumb, anything that will bond with Elmer's white glue will bond even better with the yellow stuff.

Jim Krause

I wouldn't suggest Gorilla Glue for two reasons. (1) Expense (2)It expands during the cure cycle. If not tightly clamped it will ooze out of the layers. Gorilla Glue is great stuff for woodworking.