Glue with precision!

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by ekuth, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Not sure if anyone else has tried this yet, but it works so well for me I thought I'd share it.

While refilling my inkjet cartridges last month, I was looking at the syringe that you draw the ink from the bottle with and the thought hit me: :twisted:

This thing would be perfect for precision gluing! Long, thin needle, small opening for a fine bead of glue... so I washed it well, got out the Elmers and presto!

Beats the heck out of using a toothpick, and avoids the mess of your finger. :grin:

The type I use is not the accordian bottles (although I suppose those would work as well) but the syringe type. Mine holds about 10ml of glue, enough for an entire project.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  2. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

How do you clean it? Do you find cleaning it is worth the effort?
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Yes...good...but if you don't plug the end you'll end up with a useless tool . Doesn't take long to clog one. And you may want to wash it every day after use.

Yes, I know, DUH Phil!!!!

Great tip ekuth, Thanx! I employ this method for repairing wooden chair rails etc. Never even thought about cardmodeling. Hmmmm?
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

To clean the syringe before adding glue, just hot water and flushing until the water is clear. It is important to remove all ink residue or you'll end up with colored glue...

As far as between glue fills, the same. Flush with hot water and let air dry.

And yup, you do have to make sure to cap the tip of the needle. The syringe I use came with a rubber cap, so just make sure to replace it.
    I'd hate to try to unplug one if it dried up! :cry:

I've been saving the needles from other fills just to have a spare or two. I've noticed that they seem to come in different lengths, which is handy for close quarter work.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You could use a rubber eraser and 'stick' the syringe into the eraser.
  6. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Some time back I purchased a plastic syringe with a curved plastic applicator tip at WalMart (craft section) or a craft or hardware store - cheap. They are sold as glue appliers.
    Very useful and easy to clean with hot soapy water. Look around, you don't need to buy an ink cartridge refill kit!

7. jaycee

jaycee New Member

I have used the accordion type for over a year and they are brilliant for fine beading and welding work.If you drill the hole big enough you can refill time and time again.Jay
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Drill? :???:

The accordian type I have you can pry the cap off. Unscrew the needle tip assembly and the cap is fairly easy to pry off. I suppose it would depend on how much glue the company used in the intial assembly. :)
  9. josve

josve Active Member

Hello guys!

I have used this syringe for about 6 months and never cleaned it....

Every time I'm done with it I just plug the end wirh some coned thing that fits into the opening.I have also cutted the needle in about half the original length.
    I use ony white glue in it.
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Yup! That's the same type I use, except I left the needle the full size. Only use white glue, clean it between refillings. Best dang thing I've found for gluing.
  11. modano1

modano1 Member

12. Sail Man

Sail Man New Member

Is that a belaying pin "corking" your syringe?
  13. Sail Man

Sail Man New Member

That looks like a belaying pin "corking" your syringe (?)