Glue Find

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by DDay2022, Mar 19, 2009.

1. DDay2022

DDay2022 New Member

I'm always trying new glue for paper parts, PVA is to messy, UHU strings, etc. One day while shopping with the family at Target I found a tube of 3M Scrapbooking Glue and use it for everything. It has a small applicator at one end where I can put a dot of glue about 1mm in diameter and a foam applicator at the other end for laminating parts. It sets fairly fast, within about 10 - 15 seconds, and dries clear, doesn't cause inkjet ink to run or smudge.

More here.
  2. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Have you used Aleen's Tacky Glue? If so, could you offer a critique of the 3M product compared to Aleen's?

The set-up time seems very attractive. How does its adhesive qualities compare? Have you any experience using it to adhere cellophane to paper (clear perspex sections and canopies)?

Thanks for the heads-up!
  3. davelant

davelant Member

Does it seem to be water-based, or does it smell of solvent when you apply it?
  4. DDay2022

DDay2022 New Member

I haven't used Aleen's Tacky Glue, but some of the other craft tacky glues seem to be difficult to work with, e.g. they don't have the grab that I like.

I haven't used it with canopy's or clear sheets, I'll grab a couple of overhead transparencies from work (why do we still have the stuff?) and see how it bonds with paper and to itself.

According to the MSDS it's water and Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) so no odor to speak of, it isn't however water resistant or water proof.
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Does it wrinkle the paper?
  6. DDay2022

DDay2022 New Member

It doesn't wrinkle the paper, however I've been using 110#. After seeing how thin some of the paper that scrapbookers use is, I imagine that it wouldn't wrinkle that either.
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

thank you for the information. I am going to give it a try. In fact, my neighbor is a 3M rep. I may just hit her up for some.
  8. Flame3230

Flame3230 The Chuck Norris of Tuba

thats the glue that I use, except I get the fast grab type. It works well, and it will get a good hold fast, so I can press a piece on and walk away.