glow plug problems

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by rc-crazy, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc-crazy

rc-crazy New Member

i bought my rs4 3 ss about a year ago and i havent changed the glow plug, and today i went to start up my car and the glow plug didnt ignite, now i dont know if its the glow plug or the glow plug ignitor if someone can please give me advice i would really appreciate it
    the glow plug coil color is a white if thats any help
    and if u can tell me whats tghe difference between a hot and cold glow plug u would help me allot
    thanx
  2. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

WOW!!![:0] You havent changed your glow plug in a year????[:0] I think its time to change it. You should change your glow plug after at LEAST like 2 months. You should get a hot plug. Crazy as it is it will make your engine run cooler. Now if you had a big block engine, you would run a cool plug. A big block is anything over an .18 engine. Now let me explain. A hot plug burns hotter, so your engine doesnt have to work as hard to ignite the fuel, therefore as your engine works less hard, it runs cooler. Hope that helped
    Justin
  3. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

your best bet would be to change it and also change/charge the battery to the ignitor, this will make sure when you get your new plug and as long as the engine is tuned right it should fire right up!
  4. rc-crazy

rc-crazy New Member

are all the glow plugs the same size or are there difrent sizes for diffrent motors
  5. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

There are short and long plugs. Ask your hobby shop what one you need.
  6. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

Come to think of it, you should probly buy an extra plug, just because there such routine replacements. But I just cant get over that your plug lasted for a year!
  7. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well if it is a rs4 and your running a stock .15 the short would be your best bet to go with, and make sure it is a hotplug also.
  8. TCrox

TCrox Member

I noticed that the .15 runs with such low compression to begin with a long plugs actually helps. Might need an extra washer between your plug and head, but I don't have one. But I just bought mine (and replace the motor already... long story), not sure if the old .15's are the same as these new ones are.
  9. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

if it has low compressionit probly needs ot be rebuilt
  10. redheat

redheat Member

Try going with a long hot plug , keep in mind that .15 motors and below run there best with hot plugs if your running 20% nitro, .21 motors or larger motors med. heat or cooler plugs, RED
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.