Glow Plug burn out

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by Glockster35, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glockster35

Glockster35 New Member

I recently purchased my first Nitro RC truck. The Duratrax Maximum ST Pro. I love the truck so far.

Yesterday I burnt out two NEW glow plugs on the same tank of gas. I am unsure of the brand of the gas (borrowed from a friend) and glow plugs, but purchased them locally here in Germany. They were a #6 if that gives you any information.

Today I replaced them with the original plug I got from Duratrax, and after two 10 minute runs, it too has burned out.

Is there something I may be doing to blow these glow plugs prematurely. I mean three plugs in four days seems excessive to me.

Thanks for your help.
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

You could be running your car too lean. That will take out a glow plug pretty fast. Also try an OS #A5 or #A3 glow plug. They are a medium and hot range glow plug that should last a while. Make sure you use a good fuel with at least 18% lubricant and a good anti-foaming solution. If your fuel is foaming it will cause the engine to run lean. I hope that helps ya some.
  3. Glockster35

Glockster35 New Member

Rockn82,

I don't know if I got the right thing or not, but my LHS gave me a OS Type F plug...it was $8.95 euro, so about $10 US dollars.

It says on the package that it is for 4 stroke motors but I don't know anything about these Nitros...This si the only Hobby Shop I know of nearby.

Anyway the fuels I am using is Sidewinder red at 25%.

I ran the truck for about an hour today, until my 7 year old wrecked it pretty badly, and I had to fix it...then once I got it fixed, I broke a turnbuckle by hitting a curb....so I have to wait for the turnbuckle to get here.

Will know more in a week or so.
  4. rccartips

rccartips New Member

I think your 4 stroke glow plug is not designed for your 2 stroke engine.

25% nitro is hard on the engine (just my opinion). Try 10%.

I agree with rockn82.
  5. backyardbasher4life

backyardbasher4life New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.