Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by GEEDUBBYA, Mar 3, 2005.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Hey Guys,

I know that now days a round the world trip isnt really big news unless........... you do it on one tak of gas (albeit 22,000 lbs of fuel). But to fly around the world alone, without refueling is a real marvel in as much as its never been done before.
    Today Thursday march 3rd 2005 Steve Fossett completed the first non stop flight around the world (without refueling) in a jet aircraft in just 67 hrs. onto paper models. We have all seen the white night and spaceship one. How about one of you designers designing a paper model of the Global flyer? Either as a freebie or as a commecial model before the "rush" hits. I am gonna suggest a poll to see if there would be a "fanbase" for such a model. Not that I could design one, but just to show whether there is a market.
    Here are some aircraft "specs".

- Wing Span: 114ft

- Wing Area: 400ft squared

- Length: 44.1ft

- Height: 13.3ft

- Gross Weight: 22,000 lbs

- Empty Weight: 3,350 lbs

Anyway CONGRATS TO STEVE FOSSETT AND VIRGIN ATLANTIC on the first non stop flight (without refueling) around the world of a jet. And Congrats to the Rutans for designing such an aircraft.

2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

voyager too!!!

I believe that burt rutans first round the world airplane is also missing
    from my paper model collection, Voyager

put me down for two votes yes.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Yes a model of the voyager would be nice too, although looking at his aircraft I can see special "problems" with constructing them of paper. At least I would think they might be "problems". The actual aircraft are somewhat "flimsie" due to their "ultralight" design characteristics, and although structural support might not be as big of a problem with the voyager, due to the fact that it is built like a "rectangle with wings", the global flyers twin tail booms are free standing from the wings. The would need to be a strong wing "root" from boom to boom, running thru the fuselage portion of the model so as that if the model was "lifted", the tail booms woulnt sag down and back, and the nose wouldnt sag down and foward.
    But yes, put me down for a model of the voyager also.
    I am attaching a photo of a scratch built voyager I found on the internet, sadly, this model isnt available, but can be viewed at ipms2000/00ipms59.html

4. cygielski

cygielski Member

Rutan is a genius! All of the aircraft he has on the page would be worth making into models.
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Inspiration while you work

For all you ceral-box smarties, who feel up to making a card model of this, here's some inspiration
    to use as a wallpaper/screensaver while you slave away. Get it here. - Leif

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Its Me again Guys,

I try not to reply to my own threads too often, unless its to thank someone for their comments or help, but the more I look at this plane (global flyer) the more I see 2 "Duo-Discus gliders" with a cockpit pod in the center and a turbo fan jet ontop. Amyone else see this?
    I know when the plane was about to land they said that due to its aerodynamics, it could glide over 200 miles unpoweredand that its airframe "wants" to fly so much, that the only sure way to "make it land" was thru the use of drag chutes.
    Anyway, these were just some observances I have made. I know there has been talk about the "spirit of st. louis" coming back out in card model form again, the global flyer ranks up there in aviation history with Linburghs flight.

7. jmueller

jmueller Member

Hi Folks,
    :roll: someone pointing at me? Actually I had it on my Think-about-it-list, but then I decided to do some flyer that is not white again. Sorry, I'll stick with the Comet for now.
    But hey, its really only too, well three, cigars with wings, no complicated structures. You might get a good result by using just symmetrical cones, meaning it could be done without Rhino.
    Who wants? If you are using Rhino, you can always ask for help :D

8. Janusz

Janusz Member

Yes it would be great to have such a model. However a real challenge is how to design such a long wings without a sagging defect.
    To conserve the beauty of this superb flying machine
    My best regards
  9. Jimi

Jimi Member

One of the ways on how to build "no sag long wings is to add a dihedral so that the wings will sag "just right". and using long thick barbecue sticks and sort of inserting it through the wing ribs. :)
  10. cygielski

cygielski Member

The solution to sag is simple and obvious -- build paper plane, fill with concrete (preferably reinforced), allow to set overnight. Guaranteed, no sag. :mrgreen:
  11. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I dunno, Jan's White knight has no sag whatsoever, I can even hold it by one of the wings towards the end and wave it around. Amazingly sound and strong.
  12. Janusz

Janusz Member

Complicated by sag problem?
    Yes indeed.
    Most welcome as a model of a fantastic plane?
    I cross my fingers that somebody makes one and puts it on the net for the rest of us.
    Wouldn´t that be great?