Glass Top Museum Layout

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I've been wanting to post the progress on this layout for sometime but whenever I go over to work on it I forget the camera.... Until this last thursday night. To show a little bit of history on the project without the pictures. We had to cut off about 11 inches off the right side of the layout and reroute both of the curves on that side. We had to reinforce that side and do a little bit of landscaping. The city that was there is now going to be a little more compressed and showing the other direction. We also had to cut off about 3 inches off the front of the layout and therefore had to do away with the siding that originally was there but that just simplifies the layout even more. We had to cut off the top of the mountains in the back which we will be putting on top of the glass case because the glass case we have to work with is only about 8 inches high i think.. We added 1x2 around the bottom of where the glass case would set down to raise it up a little more over the layout so we have a little bit more heighth to work with. Heres a couple of photos of about where we are right now.

Attachments

• 64x48 Museum Layout 001.jpg
    64x48 Museum Layout 001.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 64x48 Museum Layout 002.jpg
    64x48 Museum Layout 002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 31

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
We've started to put in the road where you can see in the pictures it was going to go. We're gonna add in a parking lot on either side of the station and an access road to the one parking lot which also will serve as a drop off spot in front of the station.

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
b28_82 said:
...To show a little bit of history on the project without the pictures... We had to cut off the top of the mountains in the back which we will be putting on top of the glass case because the glass case we have to work with is only about 8 inches high i think...

Good progress. I hope to put my 2 1/2'x5' layout in a glass coffee table setup sometime down the line, and I will have to do something similar, so I will be very interested in how you handle that.

---jps

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Thanks guys. The Size of it is about 59"x 33" and its basically a figure eight folded over itself.

We did a little painting touching up after i took these pictures. We also put the gravel down around where the station is for the parking lot. We decided that we couldnt do too much more until the buildings for the town came back so we called it a day.

Attachments

• 64x48 Museum Layout 003.jpg
    64x48 Museum Layout 003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 64x48 Museum Layout 004.jpg
    64x48 Museum Layout 004.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29

extra7000south

Aug 9, 2005
Ellisville, MS USA
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Very Nice!!!!!
Can't wait to see more.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Thanks Extra7000. Well, yesterday we did some more plastering of roads/sidewalks in the town area because the buildings came back temporarily. We ran out of the foam paving tape at the end but he had some double sided tape stuff for cars that we put on top of itself and it came to about the same level. So the Sidewalks are done. We'll just need to etch the concrete street and sidewalks and we'll be ready for painting. (The first picture is the gravel area around the station. Also in the upper right corner you can see the taped off and plastered area in the town)

Also in between our meeting times he created a Dam up in the mountains with a drainage pipe so I painted that while we were waiting for the first coat of plaster to dry. I think it turned out pretty well. I'm not sure what we should use for the water. I was thinking of using the realistic water because it'll probably be 2-3 inches deep up in the dammed part. What i'm not sure about is how well it'll create a dribble when it comes out of the drainage pipe. I've heard that envirotex works for creating those drainage pipe dribbles. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 64x48 Museum Layout 005.jpg
    64x48 Museum Layout 005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 64x48 Dam 01.jpg
    64x48 Dam 01.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
  • 64x48 Dam 02.jpg
    64x48 Dam 02.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 64x48 Dam 03.jpg
    64x48 Dam 03.jpg