Glass/Other Details F7

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hey guys.

Once again, another newbie help session.

To round out my collection of 50's ATSF diesels, I got a Athearn (Standard, not Genesis) F7A in warbonnet for quite a deal on ebay. It was too hard to pass up, and it had MRC DCC decoder already installed. Considering how I have DCC, it was too good to be true.

Here's the thing, when it came in the mail, and I opened it up, right out of the box I noticed a few things:

1.) Horn Hook Couplers
2.) No windshield, side, or porthole glass
3.) No road number on numberboards

Well, I can replace the horn-hooks, that's not a problem. The thing is, how can I model the glass? I don't have anything near what would fit an F7 shell. Any ideas?

What about the numberboards? Are there custom decals? Or do I have to create my own?

Thanks, as always.

Devon :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Walther's used to offer a diesel dress up kit for the Athearn F7 that included glass and brass grab irons. The price was something like about $5.00 if memory serves.
MicroScale has decal sheets of numbers that you can use for number boards. In the past, all Athearn parts were available separately for a small charge. I think the window glass for the f-7 is available separately. The various Athearn parts used to be listed in the Walthers catalog under detail parts. You probably have to have your local hobby shop contact Horizon to check for spare parts availability now.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
My LHS told me to forget about any parts coming from Athearn. I read some where that you should contact R J Rennie with Renbrandt Hobbies, in Ohio. He has an ad in Model Railroader. Appearantly he is pretty reliable and usually has what you need. I can't say I know from experience, because I still haven't called about the parts I am looking for. But so far, it looks like he is going to be the way to go.

Freelancer

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
There is also another company that makes windows for Athearn f-7s. I've been trying to remember the name for 24 hours, but it won't come. They make laser cut windows, and even offer a kit that puts a laser cut frame in the windshield opening to get the f-7 windshield back to scale. The name is American Models, or something like that, and they are in the Walther's catalog. They really make nice stuff, and the windows are much better than the stock Athearn.

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
http://www.laserkit.com/windowho.htm

Try here
thumbsup.gif

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
Russ Bellinis said:
Thanks Conrail. At the bottom of the page it says "American Model Builders." I knew it was something like that, but I have been going crazy trying to remember the company name. They make good stuff, much better than the old clear plastic castings the manufacturers use.

I ran across it while looking for some windows for my Athearn F7A & B. I will most likely just order the dress up kit from Walthers since I am going to order their F7 interior anyhow. I saved the web adress though so once I get my layout up and going I can work on a little more detail for my Locos & rolling stock. :)

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
This is the Athearn F-7 that I just detailed and painted for a friend. I bent the handgrabs myself using thin diameter brass rod and salvaged and cut down a window from an old tyco F-unit.
The brass wire bends very easily and it's all held in with AC glue. I figure it cost about 1$ to add all the grabs. I also painted the number boards black and added white rub-on transfer numbers, later applying clear paint over the to simulate the number board glass.
afv.sized.jpg