Giving up might be cheaper

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Hi guys just when things seemed to be going a little better in my life a very friend of mine offer to help out in finishing off the ballast on my layout well 35 years in this guys has would you belive it if i tell you all my 16 standard points are glued not to open plus 2 triple points total cos £300 approx why dose it seem i just doomed not to have a layout i truly at my wits end and concidering selling up at go white water rafting hell can only kill me that any help how i might get the bloody glue out of tie bars that open ans close points ty .mike:cry: :cry:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Oh man, that's terrible. Did you use water based glue? Maybe you can dribble some water on and let it set for awhile, keep doing that till the glue dissolves and sop it up with paper towels?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
WOW,that sucks man.if you can try dribbling lacquer thinner or alchohol on the point and see if it dissolves it.but dont give up,its hard to build for sure but whats the point in bilding something without something going wrong :D .just take it slow and come back to it later and see if you still want to build your layout.--josh

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Lacquer thinner may damage the platic parts of the ties...!

Water is your best bet if PVA glue was used.

Boy, you sure know how to keep things interesting Mike...! ;) :D

If white water rafting is lethal, maybe you should send your friend who "helped" you!!

sign1

Hang in there buddy!

Andrew

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Lacquer thinner may damage the platic parts of the ties...!

OOPS,i completley forgot about the ties.i should have known better.but why me if you do sell all your stuff (which you shouldnt) you should put that money to good use and take me with you! LOL--josh

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
I saved best part for last then my pal gose and lift up a felischmann triple point opens the bug-----up and all the springs fall out job totaled the points and say dont worrie worry IM ON VALIUM PLUS VODKA WITH THIS MUPPET stress wonder why .mike

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Cripes what a bummer.
Your "friend" should never be allowed near a layout again.
Hopefully you can get it all worked out and running again, Mike.
We're pulling for ya'.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Mike, water should work to soften the glue, after which you'll need to wipe up as much of it as you can. When ballasting, it's a good idea to keep the ballast, at least in the area below the moveable points, well beneath the tie-tops. Before adding glue when ballasting, I always apply a drop of plastic-compatible oil on the tops of the ties that the points move over, then flip the points back and forth a few times to ensure that there's a film of oil between the points and the ties. It also helps to position the points mid-way in their travel, to avoid glueing them to one of the stock rails. Despite of all these precautions, it's still possible to stick things together, but by using some gentle manual persuasion, it won't be too hard to get things moving again. Don't use the switch machine, whether it's electric or a manual ground throw, as it's not meant for this kind of work.

Wayne

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Ok I read this and I will admit 100% I fell off the chair laughing. It wasn’t like I never did something along those lines. I was just happy to have a partner in doing the impossible.

I can feel your pain and can only say better days to come. I would suspect the only worse news is that a non-water base glue was used then I would think you’re done for. The water might be a good solution and worth the effort if it is in fact water based.

I wish you luck and I’m sorry that I can’t offer much more advise than has been given. However don’t be hard on your friend I would bet he meant well and just didn’t know.

Never give in that is the easiest thing in life to do and to tell the truth not much fun. Just look at it as another one of those challenges in life that comes along every now and then.

[FONT=&quot]Again I wish you luck and don’t mind my laughing at your expense I just thought I was the only one with such luck. You now rate to be in my good company of the unlucky. You know like they say if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all. ;)
[/FONT]

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
I dont have a clue if this would work, but at a last ditch effort you might try a hair blow drier on hot. It shouldnt get hot enough to do any damage to the ties I dont think. also a heat gun that is made to heat swrink tubing might get hotter if you have access to one. Good luck,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, , ,,,, ,,,,,, st

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
Blue windshield wsher fluid will also help clean the white glue out of the switches. To me it seems to work a little better (and faster) that just water.

Tom

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Kinda reminds me of the time I asked both of my Brothers-in-Law to help paint. Absolutely every window was painted shut, and I wound up having to re-do whatever they did. I know I asked for help, but I didn't know I was getting the Marx Brothers.announce1

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
I did the same when I glued the track to the roadbed. A few of my switches locked up and it took a fair amount of scraping to get them to move freely. Your friend sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but hey...

He's a friend right?

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Use a putty knife to try and wedge *carefully* underneath the switches to try and free up the ballast and points.

Been there, done that. You're not the only one that's done that while ballasting!

Relax and take a deep breath first though, it's not as bad as it seems. Most of us have glued switch points before, I'm sure.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
You might want to try soaking the area in rubbing alchohol to soften the glue. I used to think RA wouldn't affect white glue, but discovered otherwise last night. I just finished scratchbuilting a large timber pile bridge using regular white glue. I applied a liberal coat of a RA and ink wash and the glue softened and the entire thing fell apart.
Doc

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Doc Holliday said:
You might want to try soaking the area in rubbing alchohol to soften the glue. I used to think RA wouldn't affect white glue, but discovered otherwise last night. I just finished scratchbuilting a large timber pile bridge using regular white glue. I applied a liberal coat of a RA and ink wash and the glue softened and the entire thing fell apart.
Doc

That's what I was going to suggest. Whenever I've unintentionally glued my points with white glue, I brush the area with some rubbing alcohol and it has always worked. It might take a few times of brushing and fiddling with the switch before it loosens though.

I also use rubbing alcohol on places in the track where there are current problems. This often works as well.

Rob

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Haven't done that yet:thumb: ......but I'm sure its like the two groups of muzzle loader shooters, those how have dry balled :eek:ops: (rammed a ball without putting powder in first) and those who are going to dry ball:rolleyes: ....I'm sure as I start laying track I'll be crying too:cry: .

Rick