Girders and Structures - Paper

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by edkeffel, Oct 12, 2006.

1. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Anyone aware of free downloadable paper models of girders and/or metallic treliswork structures? Like huge TV and communications antennas?

2. hpept

hpept Member

Oi edkeffel! Bem vindo ao forum.
    Maybe you already know it, but at the johnatan leslie site there are some structures( mostly launch towers) that could interest you.
  3. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Thanx, indeed I know JL´s place; But I am looking for something else.

In fact i´ve started to do some work in my own structure using CorelDraw, and now I became very interested in these kind of paper models. They´re quite beautiful objects when fully assembled.

The Apollo Launch Tower is indeed a very nice option, though.

Attached Files:

4. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Structure by me...

I just completed an antenna-like assembly.

Attached Files:

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Small Tubing for Antenna Structures

The antenna structures in the photos may well be adapted to small diameter tubular paper. I've had some success in rolling these in small diameters using vellum as the raw material. Various diameters can be rolled using different wire gauges for the mandrel as shown in the attached photo. It takes a little practice to become proficient but soon becomes a "piece of cake". Don't forget to moisten the paper after you get the initial roll around a larger diameter form such as a wooden dowel. Finish with a little thinned white glue and if desired (after the part has dried) a thinned coating of either nitrate dope, lacquer or shellac.

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Neat! Doctor Gil strikes again!:grin::roll:

Gil........ are you putting the paper on at a spiral, like the old paper straws we drank our milk with, or are you doing a true cone from a long narrow strip of paper? Knowing you I suspect the later!:twisted:

I love this hobby, because it don't matter what you are interested in "You can do it!" in paper.

edkeffel......... The towers are neat and I will watch to see what you come out with! Thanks for the one you posted......... what scale are you planning on for your models?

7. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Gil, very nice approach. I have been using paper tubes for awhile, but now I prefer to use toothpicks or other kind of wooden sticks to form te tubular struts. I simply do not have time to take paper sheets and roll them into tubes; so I prefer to use materials already in the shape - of course if the match the desired diameter.

The girder that I designed today, though, are intended to be not tubular, but squared.

But for built these antennas I will be forced to use either wooden sitcks or - like you pointed - tubular paper struts. Thanx.
  8. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Treliswork-struts for you all

I´ve just completed some antennas in coreldraw and made them available in pdf version.

There are no instructions, but they are quite simple.

antenna-look pdf is the general shape.

Attached Files:

9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Spiral vs. Parallel

Hi All,

I have tried both and found that the parallel wound paper tube works the best for paper modeling. The spiral wound is not as strong as the parallel wound. The parallel wound can also be formed into curved sections by bending it on a wire mandrel form that's been coated with bees wax. The paper is then finished with nitrate dope, lacquer or shellac and allowed to dry after which the wire mandrel is removed. This method allows tubular framework such as bicyle/motorcycle/aircraft frames to be modeled accurately with paper.

10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks edkeffel, for sharing! I really like your design. Very nice work!

The first page though, just comes up blank when I click on it.

Nice textures and design on the other pages, I just have no idea what the end result should look like. As nice as the part files are there is still no way to tell what is what.

I hope you will repost this first page file for me or let me know what I am doing wrong.
  11. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Sorry for the 1st page. I made a mistake when converting the cdr to pdf file.
    This was just a picture os the assmbled tower. Here I attach a jpg file of it.
    There are some extra parts (spare) in both pdf pages;
    The base of the assembly is the pyramidal mount - 4-sided, with the internal struts glued to it.
    The upper part is the long box-like 4-sided and to this one the side struts are to be glued.
    The small triangles are the "feet". The square parts (with an X-like fixture inside) are the intermediate floors to give the antenna strength.

I was too busy to attach a whole instructions file. Be sure of letting some border to allow the parts to be glued. I added a glue-border only in the pyramidal base and the main body.

Let me know your opinion!

Attached Files:

12. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

thanks for the girder/antenna model. these are great.