Ginormous Flying Aircraft Carrier from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RocketmanTan, May 4, 2010.

1. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Well, one day, in algebra class, I was drawing ideas for this webcomic I do on facebook, and in the midst of drawing a comic of guys riding kites, I remembered this giant flying aircraft carrier from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. When I first saw that carrier, I was itching to make a model of it, although I never got around to it. Finally, I decided to get started on it one lazy sunday (the chronic-WHAT?-cles of narnia!)--last sunday. I've canceled my 7up machine thing so I could focus all of my attention on this project. Currently, the model will be a wee bit smaller than a sheet of paper in terms of length. More to come as the week progresses.
  2. RocketmanTan

Here are some pics of what I'm trying to build, in case no one is familiar with the film:

Attached Files:

3. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

It is a tad on the largish side. How big do you plan to make it?

btw, doodling in Algebra? tsk tsk. :sleeping:
  4. RocketmanTan

The model will be about the size of a sheet of paper, although I might make a larger and better one if people like it. As for doodling in algebra...Yeah, I'm a good student, never got below an "A", but yes, I do doodle a lot *blush*. However, if I never actually paid attention to algebra class, I wouldn't be able to design my models...sign1
  5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm all for this!

Sky Captain has a wealth of model subjects; that's for certain!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014

Had I been a bit sooner to contact Paramount, I would have had the gig to design paper kits for their site.
  7. RocketmanTan

That's awesome! Pity, though, for I would have gone downtown with those models!:mrgreen:
    Anywho, I'm basically finished with the model; only test building and spellchecking are left.
    --Bryan "Opposite over adjacent" Tan
  8. RocketmanTan

Well, the model didn't turn out as I had expected...The model is about the size of a pair of scissors, and I decided to make her hako-style. There are basic geometric shapes, and only about 22 parts. Like I said before, if people like this model, I will gladly make a larger and better version of this thing.
    Current status: Final Editing, making instructions
  9. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

It would be cool if someone did one of the giant robots.... not in 1:1 though.... might be a bit much. :rolleyes:
  10. RocketmanTan

prototype pics

Here are pictures of the prototype (the final model will look better, trust me). i feel that it captures the basic look of the ship from the film. Some modifications I made were to the main tower, the engine trusses, cleanup on the carrier deck, and more detail to the tower section.
    Sorry for the poor quality; I took these on my webcam.

Attached Files:

11. RocketmanTan

Ohhhkayyy, and here's the recently finished final model. As you can see, it's a TREMENDOUS improvement of the prototype. I have submitted the model file to the download section, and now I'm just waiting for it to be approved. Once that's done, I'll post the link to the model file.

Attached Files:

12. RocketmanTan

Model's Up!

Find it on the download page!
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Very nice! Congrats! and above all, Thank you for sharing!
  14. stephenjrider

stephenjrider New Member

15. rdmcii

rdmcii New Member

16. edward smith

edward smith New Member

Congratulations on a great Sky Captain flying carrier model.
  17. Lord Red Dragon

Lord Red Dragon E.V.I. ltd CEO

Looking forward to this build, nice work!
  18. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

19. nh3ave2006

nh3ave2006 Member

I am impressed!
  20. RocketmanTan

Than you all for the support and kind comments :rolleyes: It's people like you that encourage me to keep designing models.
    Here's a link to the model in the downloads section:

Also, I guess it's time my models have an actual home. I'm starting on a website for my models, and it might be some time before it's complete and ready to go.

Thank you all