Giant Size Fokker DVII

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Redwulf, Apr 22, 2006.

1. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Talk about "Meet the Fokkers"
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Very Cool. Are you going to color it?

3. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Yeah, I will color it fairly simple. Probably red with a white tail and crosses. Anyone have any advice on painting cardboard? I think regular old paint will warp it. (??)
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You might want to try a LIGHT coat from a good quality spray paint. No Wal-Mart brand. Krylon or something like that. And use a very light coat.

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Redwulf,

It´s really nice to see how your build is advancing.
    Re. type of paint, you could try some kind of regular wall paint, which could be diluted with water and applied with a brush.
    Much cheaper and easier to use (if you want to mask some areas with tape) than spray paint and the brushes can easily be rinsed in water.
    And the little pilot can perhaps help you, without staining his clothes . . .
    just a tip.

all the best,
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

Regular latex paint would probably be you best choice, but not diluted at all, and applied with a roller. You want it to sit "on" the surface not soak into the cardboard.
    The small diameter rollers that go on the bare wire crane are great for everything and can get into corners and small spaces. Behr (at Home Depot or where-ever) make a premixed gloss red that would be perfect.
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Giant Size Fokker D.VII Card Model

Hi Redwulf!

I´m just curious - how are you getting on with your garage build? Is the fuselage ready for proper 'test fitting' by the little pilot yet?

best regards from Fokker-freak
  8. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Hey Bengt!
    Well, I got wrapped up into a few different things (mainly a cardmodel repaint) and just got back to it this weekend. I ran into a tough spot with the upper fuselage deck and needed to back away a little. It was a bit hard to "roll" the cardboard and then taper it into a flat. I finally got it and all is now glued up. All that's left is to attach the rest of the tail and then paint her "BLUE" per the little pilots request!

I was thinking I need to make an update post here at least saying I havn't done anything! Hoping to have something to photo real soon!

9. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Well, you guys probably think I gave up! It's been a while. There should be some pictures coming very soon! I have the fuselage ready for paint. I tried to take some pictures but it's raining here. There was not enough light in the garage and I could not get far enough away to get a full blown pic. Waiting on some glue to dry right now. Hopefully the painting "event" will take place tonite or tomorrow. It's going to be a family event painting it. Stay tuned....We'll have pics soon! :twisted:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker D.VII Fuselage Paint Job

Hi Redwulf & Co at the Fokker Factory!

Nice to hear that the work on the massive card model is advancing - the very best of luck to all the family.
    There´s no work like team work!

PS. Here´s is Alexandra and pilot in another great biplane at the Fokker-Team-Schorndorf in Germany:

Attached Files:

11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hey Bengt,

Bad luck for your team today. Your Goalkeeper was brilliant though.

Hopefully the wife won't see this...she'll string me up by the thumbs...
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Football and other things . . .

(next post)
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Football And Other Things . . .

Hey Rick,

Yeah, I heard the bad news on the taxi from the airport yesterday, as I returned from the Austrian alps. I guess it´s pretty much what could be expected. The German team is a good one, from what I have gathered. I´m not that much into football, so I´m really not that knowledgeable.

However, I watched the game btw. England and Sweden - my fellow countrymen did all they could to keep the ball away from their side of the field. Shot the ball outside and everywhere, in almost blind panic.
    That game was a very intense and exciting, ending in a draw - much to our great relief.

Is your wife Swedish - are you that lucky, too? String you up by the thumbs - that´s pretty severe. Are you into S&M?
    Just kidding . . .

Grüß Gott!
    Bengt :wink:
  14. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Ok guys, she is now painted! I have much more detail to add. I will "pencil" in the cowling details with a Sharpie. I have the machine guns started. The boy is flying without defense right now! In fact out in the yard he got bounced by a crow and all he could do was dive away! No offensive measures could be taken! I still have to do the wings, the engine area. I'm going to try and curve the lower cowl and nose section. Then add the prop. Still need some white around the fuselage crosses. But hey it's coming! I took the picture in front of the Mini Van for pespective! Well, we'll keep workin on her!

15. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

landing gear ??

Hi redwulf,

the Fokker has a very interesting (bionic) landing gear, shown on the first pic :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :grin:

best regards FLU
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Giant Scale Fokker D. VII Card Model

Good work, redwulf!

It looks really promising. Can´t wait to see the rest . . .

Good luck!
  17. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

That's a hoot!

I see many a hour spent enjoying this project...and maybe your son will get a chance to play in her too.:grin:

Looking forward to seeing more!

18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I sure dont like the look of that table. lol :D
  19. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Yes the table was a bit shakey! The photographer, (mama) was a bit worried about it. :cry:
  20. lv4142003

lv4142003 Member

Whats the current status on this craft? What are you going to use for landing gear? Will the wings be card also? When my sons were young (36 & 33 now) I started to build an DVII out of thin plywood, coach wheels. Never got to the wing stage, the wife didn't want her children playing in THAT thing, they could get hurt ( I never figured out HOW they could get hurt, it wouldn't move, maybe if they bailed out , no chutes provided). Anyway, it's great to see someone building my dream plane and you're doing an outstanding job! By the way, who picked out the paint scheme? Thanks, Joe