Giant Layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by ekiqa, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ekiqa

ekiqa New Member

I've been thinking of drawing up a giant, 'dream layout', of the CPR's Revelstoke Division, namely, from Calgary to Kamloops, encompasing the Laggan, Mountain and Shuswap subdivisions.

Say put it into a 100' x 50' area, with 48" minimum mainline radii.

Mostly Mountain Sub with a little of the Laggan and Shuswap Subs.

Any one want to give it a go?
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

That would be a huge layout.jawdrop Where would you put it though??sign1
  3. viperman

viperman Active Member

What scale would this be in?
  4. ekiqa

ekiqa New Member

It would theoretically be in HO scale.

As to where it would go, where-ever it could fit, no?

As I said, this is more of a dream/fantasy layout, something that if I won a huge lottery or some such.

What I envision of the layout would be scenery similar to the Gorre & Daphetid, floor to ceiling mountains and such.

Any other dream layout ideas?
  5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The Sumpter Valley Railway, in HOn3, from end to end, every rock, every tree, every bridge/culvert/trestle/siding........if I'm going to dream.... oval of track 1:1 scale, big enough to run a C&O H8 Allegheny on, and then restore one of the two H8s, and run it.....

Oh well, reality is knocking on the door, I have to go and answer it. :cry: :D :D :D

Dream big, and have fun!
  6. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

See some of my comments in the Granite Gorge and Northern in Unitrack thread.

I've thought a lot about this as I'm getting ready to move at the end of May to an unknown location and as yet not secured new job. Do I insist on a house with a huge basement or an outbuilding to build a club-size layout in? Or do I just accept what space I can eke out and worry about all the other details of a house?

Givens and druthers:

- Wife and kids are not going to stand for me working plus commuting and then spending 10+ hours per week alone in the basement. I already have problems with time spent in my study on the computer. To have any reasonable amount of hobby time, layout will have to be in family room, living room, dining room, or a bedroom - some place where I am readily accessible to them. And if I am, they might even decide to join in.

- I am a lone-wolf MR. I do not have time to be an active member of a club; not when I have young kids still at home. If there happened to be another MR in the neighborhood where we could occasionally help each other out with construction - great. But I can't plan or count on that.

Based on limited time, lone-wolf status, and family needs a large club layout is impractical to operate and maintain, even if I had the funds and time to construct it.

That said, my dream layout is still a 2 railroad plan set in coastal Oregon in 1900 plus/minus 20 years. One railroad is HO standard gauge, the other is HOn3. Both would have simple facilities and 2 terminals.

The standard gauge (Picture Gorge and Western) would run from a small port to an interchange with the narrow gauge, and then an interchange with the SP in the Willamette Valley at its eastern terminal. The grand plans to build through to Wyoming/Montanta never materialized.

The narrow gauge (Tillamook Head and Bethel) would run from a coastal port (different, very small port) via a switchback into the mountains, and then on to the standard gauge interchange/eastern terminal.

Ideally, both lines would have some provision for continuous running (I like to spectate as well as run point-to-point). Also, want continuous run for testing and breaking-in locomotives.

The concept fits in well with my limitations. Smaller rolling stock and shorter locos means reasonable length trains in the space I may get. A less-modeled era and gauge restricts availability and reduces the temptation to buy more trains than my layout will support, as does kit building/kit-bashing/scratch-building.

I only have 6 defined Layout Design Elements (LDEs) - the 2 ports, the transfer site/NG terminal between the 2 lines, the NG switchback, and the SG interchange/terminal with SP. Can easily be built in sections/modules to support these LDEs.

If I ever "completed" what I've described, I would think that would be more than enough to satisfy me at this point in my life.

My thoughts, your choices