Discussion in 'Trainspotter ID' started by Triplex, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The GG1 (often written with a dash, GG-1) is probably the most famous electric locomotive ever made. The Pennsylvania Railroad built them at the Altoona shopsin collaboration with Baldwin, Westinghouse, and General Electric. 139 units were built between 1934 and 1943, and the last was retired in 1983. They served on PRR, PC, Conrail, Amtrak, and New Jersey Transit. 16 survive, all non-operational.

The GG1's basic shape is difficult to describe. It's known far and wide; however, two other classes of PRR electric had similar styling. The GG1 can be identified by its 2-C-C-2 wheel arrangement.

The first GG1 had a riveted body. It is also notable for being the Bicentennial GG1, and the only one to receive Conrail blue instead of just a patch job.

The rest of the GG1s looked like this as built:

Many GG1s were modified with large, high intakes:

A list of (hopefully) all GG1 paint schemes ever used, including patch jobs: A normal GG1 leads "Old Rivets". Similar situation. Modified intake GG1 leads a normal GG1. An engine terminal full of GG1s.
  2. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member For the win!

The GG1 is such an interesting locomotive. The one in the image I've linked to is the style that's always kept me thinking about the PRR, and wanting to do something with it.

Oh, I also bet there are more GG1 photographs than anyone could ever put into an organized collection. Could there be a more photographed piece of railroad equipment? It's so photogenic.
  3. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Raymond Loewy. The guy epitomizes that streamlined design style we associate with the mid 20th-Century. Got to love those art-deco influences!
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

A note on the name: Pennsy locomotive classes had a letter denoting the wheel arrangement and a number for the design within that arrangement and sometimes another letter for variations. eg K4s was a pacific, 4th design, modified? (see the thread on the P5)
    G was the letter for a 4-6-0; the GG1 was 2 4-6-0 s back-to-back.
  5. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I think it's interesting that so much infasis is put on wheel arrangement. I would think something like power and perhaps radii capabilities would make more sense.
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I believe the Rio Grande, for one, numbered their steam classes based on tractive effort. An L-131 had 131000 lb tractive effort.