GG1 2-C+C-2

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I thought I would start off the Forum with a well known Locomotive: The GG1.
The GG1 was used by the PRR from January 1935, when it made it's first passenger service run from Washington, DC, until 1983, when the last GG1 was used on the New Jersey Transit system.
A Picture I took of 4800 “staring down” a newer Amtrak Diesel:
gg1cddeis.jpg

I took this photo a few years ago at the Railroad Museum of PA.
Why the GG1 you ask? The GG1 was manufactured, in part, by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The PRR asked for a Loco to be built, that had but a few requirements: Be able to run at 100 MPH, Have a center cab, Have a Pleasing appearance, 4,500 Horsepower, and Have a Maximum weight of less than 55,000 Lbs on each driver. It had a designation of 2-C+C-2. It was essentially to be, Two 4-6-0 Locomotive wheel arrangements, assembled together rear to rear. making it in effect a 4-6-6-4 diesel locomotive.
In 1934 design teams began working on the GG1. General Steel Castings Corp. poured the frames. The body was then rested on the Two frames that were connected by a 10 3/8” ball held in by a 7” diameter pin.
After completing the body & frame assembly, Baldwin sent the GG1 to General Electric in Erie, PA., where the electrics where installed. The Main Transformer stepped down the 11,000 Volt A.C. to the voltages needed by the GG1.
To make the GG1 more presentable, the industrial designer Raymond Loewy designed such things as the “cats whiskers” pin striping, and the number boards.
Technical data:
Short term H.P —– 8,500 Width (cab) —– 10’ 4”
Weight on Drivers —– 303,000 Lbs Weight on Trucks —– 172,000 Lbs.
Total Weight —– 475,000 Lbs Height (less pantographs) 16’
Max. Speed —– 100 MPH Continuous H.P. —– 4620
Gear Ratio —– 24 to 27 Line Voltage —– 11.000 VAC
The first GG1 is No. 4800. It is affectionately called “old rivets” because, it is the only GG1 who’s body is riveted together. All the other GG1’s were welded so as to provide the sleek appearance we are all familiar with. No. 4800 and it’s sister, 4935 are at the Railroad Museum of PA. There are also other GG1’s on display at various Museums in the area including The Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum. If anyone has any information on road No’s and locations of other GG1’s reply to this article & we’ll add them in.
smile.gif

A great site for finding info about PRR engines, artifacts, and rolling stock is:
http://kc.pennsyrr.com/
A good site for Pics is:
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/graphics/trains/electric/
In all there were about 150 GG1’s built. Their service life of over 45 Yrs made them a very recognized fleet of engines. — N Gauger

[This message has been edited by N Gauger (edited 12-29-2000).]