Getting the Perfect Fit

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Ajax, Jun 23, 2004.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

For greater accuracy, an Me262 SHOULD have crappy fit between the segments. Then the seams taped with RLM grey tissue paper<G>
  2. milhistory

milhistory Member

In that case, the rear of the fuselage fits the bill, because I really messed it up (I didn't follow Ron's rules by starting from the tail).
  3. IndiQa

IndiQa New Member

What an extremely helpful thread. Thanks to all for a enlightening discussion.

In with formers and isn't that a union with the AFL-CIO?? :lol:

4. Bob Ebophalus

Bob Ebophalus Member

What about where there are two sections of fuselage or whatever that are already builtand those need to be joined? An example is on the R100 there is a center section, a front section and a rear section. I can build the sections, but when I have to glue them toether, the joint always looks bad since I cannot get my fingers inside the model to press the seam flat. Any tips?
  5. barry

barry Active Member

flat seams

try a clay modelling spatula with a curved end

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Here is another thought for butt joints, guaranteed to make the purists go into cardiac arrest. Instead of using card for the formers, use thick (3/16 or 1/4) inch thick meat tray foam, holding the two abutting formers together and sanding the edges so they are exactly the same (remember to mark the faces that butt against each other). When assembling the fuselage section, let the formers extend about 1/16 inch past the end of the skin. When the glue is thoroughly dry, use a 4-inch Xacto carving blade or a filetting knife to roughly trim the foam to match the edges of the skin, then carefully sand the end of the fuselage segment until the former face is exactly flush with the skin edge. If you have ever hand-lapped a valve seat or built a vacuformed kit, you will be familiar with the sanding technique that gives best results. Takes some time, but when done, the segments will seat together so damn close you have a hard time seeing the join.

Say....who's gonna extract the good stuff from this string and post it as an article?
  7. Darwin

Darwin Member

I thought I'd share this with you, since it does have some slight bearing on the subject line of obtaining the perfect fit. Yesterday, I sat through 9 hours of training on the latest Management Tool of the Month Club director's selection....the INPO (Institute of Nuclear Plant Operations) Human Performance course. Actually, it was one of the better training sessions I've been to over my career, and holds real promise if management will give it more than lip service. Anyway, the course message can be boiled down to "humans screw up, and you shouldn't shoot them when they do." Mostly, it is a collection of common sense methods of looking at a process, figuring out what types of mistakes workers are going to make, and how to design and implement the safeguards to either prevent the mistake, or at least keep it from being catastrophic to the system.

One of the tools mentioned by the instructor was the STAR acronym that is so memorable that I immediately forgot what it actually stands for, but consists of a systematic way of "standing back" from a process, looking for steps that give a gut feeling they are problematic, and revising the process to remove such steps. What the instructor said next, though, is absolutely unforgettable. He was teaching a class of construction personnel at one of the other national labs, and mentioned this tool. One of the pipefitters in the class (pipefitters....God, but you gotta love em) piped up and said they already used a STAR tool. When our instructor bit and asked what their STAR stood for, the fitter replied "it means 'Shit....that aint right!'"

So how does that apply to our subject of getting the perfect fit? Whatever technique you use: dryfit, hold the model out at arms length, and if you get that nagging little feeling that something's out of kilter, it's your subconscious yelling STAR at the top of it's little voice. Stop, figure out what it is that's out of kilter, fix it, and only then apply glue. A logical extension of "measure twice, cut once."