getting Started

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by medic1772, Nov 27, 2004.

1. medic1772

medic1772 New Member

I have always loved electric trains.I have a Marx train that I recieved for Christmas over 30 years ago. I would like to get started into model railroading.I would like suggestions on how to build my first layout on a limited budget.I have been looking at new lionel sets just wonder if they are as durable as my Marx set that still works.:)
    Thanks in advance
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Tommy:
    Lionel still makes good equipment, as do others. What type of railroading are you interested in these days? What do you mean by "durable"? Kid proof? Lasts a thousand years?

If you like Marx, maybe you should look into S-Gauge. Both are 3/16" scales.

3. medic1772

medic1772 New Member

I am just amazed that trains that were bought over 30 years ago are still running. These trains have many miles on them because as a kid I played with them almost daily. As for the type of railroading I like all trains. I have three HO sets that were givin to me around 15 years ago. Two of them are Tyco. I would like to stay with the larger scale, but due to room at my home HO is going to be more realistic.I have also thought of trying to start a club in my area and finding a building to rent so that the club could build a large scale railroad. Thanks for any advice.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Hi Tommy,

You've got a lot of options. If you're happy with your Marx (people seem either to love it or hate it) there's still plenty of Marx out there. Current production stuff is reliable but not as easy to work on as Marx was.

To get going on a budget, buying vintage stuff is an easy way to go. You can accessorize with paperboard buildings (much cheaper) and the like too. You don't have to spend thousands like the people featured in the magazines often do.

I'm gearing up to build a small Marx layout using as much paper as possible just to prove it can be done and look good.

I generally stick to buying pre-1969 stuff, as the prices tend to be better unless the piece happens to be highly collectible.

The most important thing is to figure out what you like and be patient. That's been my biggest problem, and the biggest cause of me wasting money.

I've got some Yahoo discussion groups I can point you towards to give you some ideas if you want them.
  5. medic1772

medic1772 New Member

Thanks Dave, I have been looking at Marx trains on ebay. I am a little scared about buying with out knowing how well the trains run.My train was made in the late 60s I believe.let me know about the yahoo sites please.I am on messenger as thowell1772.thanks Tommt Howell (
  6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Hey, Medic!

While I don't really like to run out and flog "my scale", have you looked at the Bachmann On30 sets? O scale, runs on regular HO track. The sets are not too expensive, and the equipment runs beautifully. Narrow gauge equipment is smaller than mainline stuff, so they're about Marx-size, even though they're a scale level larger.

Just an idea.
  7. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Also, just saw in a magazine that a new marx repair manual is out. Don't recall where i saw it,....maybe Classic Toy Trains? See if you can find it on the web.

As to cardboard buildings. There's a fellow here on the gauge, Matthyro, who does some pretty amazing things with a sheet of cerial box cardboard. CHeck out the academy.