Getting it in Gauge

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by LoudMusic, Apr 14, 2007.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I was recently linked to this Wikipedia entry from a comment I made on slashdot.

I had no idea the work was done in such a short time. I figured they would have just done sections between stations and effectively moved the break-of-gauge point over the course of years. Pretty impressive!
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

pretty interesting how prior to 1900, "standard" gauge was not that standard. I am surprised they didn't just move he rail that last half inch at the same time. There must have been a reason.

3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There's always been a bit of disagreement about standard gauge. I thought that at least one RR went for 4'8" to tighten up the ride.
    Yes, back then major projects could be done over a weekend; nowadays they take years and that's after the environmental assessment. There were a number of railways in Ontario built to the "Ontario Government" gauge (forget what it was, now) because that was a requirement to get grants. Many of those were re-gagued over a weekend, although I think at least one was done progressively.
    Wonder if they pushed all the wheels in 3" overnight as well?