GERN modellers...

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Dec 23, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

For all of the people modelling GERN Industries, in one form or another, this Thread's for You. ;) Post your pictures and comments or post a link to any work that you're doing that's related to GERN. Even if you've not yet got your version of GERN ready for public showing, stop by and introduce yourself, and maybe give us an outline of your plans. And for anybody who'd like to model GERN, simply look things over here, then send me a pm and I'll help you to get started. All scales and all skills, too, are welcome.

To start things off, here are a couple of links to GERN threads.
    The original Gibson Works, in Port Maitland, on my own layout:
    If It's GERN, It's Good...

The Burlinggame Works, of Gary S., on his Texas Division of GERN Industries:
    GERN Industries Ltd. is on the move...
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

A short history of GERN of Southern Wisconsin

In early 1936, GERN Industries Ltd. of Canada began to explore the possibility of building a new plant to serve the dairy industry of Wisconsin. The effects of the Great Depression were beginning to abate somewhat, and there was some government money available for industrial development. In conjunction with these occurrences, GERN Laboratories had developed a new additive for livestock feed which would increase milk production by up to 3%.
    Construction started in the Spring of 1937, and by early summer of 1938, the plant was in full production.
    Like all GERN branch plants, GERN of Southern Wisconsin was fairly automonous, and even more so when Canada went to war in September of 1939. All of GERN's Canadian operations moved production to weapons grade flux (3% more explosive), with a small capacity set aside for medicinal flux.
    Meanwhile, the Wisconsin plant flourished, at least until Dec. 7, 1941, and in early 1942, the War Production Board ordered that all American plants of GERN direct their production towards the war effort.
    The Wisconsin operation was involved mainly in the production of additives for aviation gasoline, and rubber compounds.
    After the War, sales slumped badly, as the out-dated plant was unable to produce the newer variant of the feed additive that was now so much in demand. Fortunately, contacts made during wartime lead to new avenues of development within the automotive industry, and by 1951, GERN of Southern Wisconsin had developed a paint additive that made turquoise paint 3% more turquoisey. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the 1955 model year that this colour became popular. In the meantime, GERN was branching out into the field of lubricating additives, and in 1954, introduced ethylene difluxide, a gasoline enhancer that made automotive engines 3% more powerful.
    Business was booming, and by 1963, the Wisconsin Works began an expansion project that continues to this day, proving once again that "If It's GERN, It's Good".

GERN of Southern Wisconsin is located on my layout, the Rock Valley Sub, set in the time period of 1969-'79:thumb: . as it is in that time frame, like said above it has went through some upgrades, a new butler building has been added to the old GERN factory providing new offices, more work space, and a bigger distribution center:winki::mrgreen: .

GERN of southern Wisconsin receives Flux from its parent plant, and its brother/sister plants in various forms, liquid, granulated, powder, etc.
    MY GERN plant then refines & processes the Flux for use in the Automotive industry.
    Paint additives, wax additives, oil & gas additives, and fabric protection are just a few items made here at GERN of Southern Wisconsin:thumb: . Ole Oliffson, a technician at the plant told me "With the new use of Space age micro-sphere Technologies, we are only beginning to scratch the surface of all the possibilities that GERN'S Flux has to offer":winki: . Mr. Oliffsons partner Eric Munson, added that he is currently working on the newly found Phosphorous properties that GERN's Flux has when added to lacquer based liquids:winki: .

My GERN is comprised of three Walthers kits, two of them i kitbashed together to make the "old" GERN, and the new add on is another Walther's kit. NONE of any of the kits are close to being completed yet, but now i have a plan, and really looking forward to working on this project:thumb: . The plant has three tracks that serve it, and Union Pacific has the contract on all rail service to it:winki::mrgreen: . Just the simple fact i am working on a GERN, makes this project 100% more fun to do:thumb::toug::119::twisted: .

i will post links to my progress from time to time on this thread:thumb: .
    OH, and remember, "If it's GERN, it's GOOD":thumb:
    :deano: -Deano
  3. doctorwayne

It's great to see that GERN is expanding, and doing so in several different eras, all at the same time. I look forward to seeing more GERN modellers "coming out of the closet". ;):p:-D:-D

4. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Dr Wayne... please excuse the ignorance of a newcomer, but what is GERN industries? What do they produce? Why is GERN so popular here on this forum? Is it pronounced Gern, or Jern? Y'know like Geep is pronounced Jeep? Would GERN Ind. be something you'd see east of ole' Miss.?

EDIT: I see GERN makes Flux. Like soldering flux? Not sure I understand.
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Dave...From what I understand, the GERN flux is a bit of a "wonder" product with applications in virtually all branches of industry....either as an additive to other products, or "stand-alone". Like the slogan (??) says..."If it's GERN, it's got to good..!!" :mrgreen:
    And, yes, you would see it east of ol' Miss....Actually...I'm sure some time soon it'll be seen in every corner of the world....!! :eek:
  6. doctorwayne

Dave, if you go to the "Sticky" at the top of this Forum page, there are a couple of links there that might explain a few things about GERN (pronounced with a hard "G", as in Good) ;) In the link to the original GERN, some of the info is a few pages into the Thread. There's also an old Thread somewhere that tells of the origins of GERN - if I can find it, I'll post a link. Anybody wanting to get in on modelling GERN, in one form or another, just contact me via pm.

7. Catt

Catt Guest

I am in the process of doing several freight cars for Gern Industries and it has occured to me that I don't have the slightest idea of what the reporting marks should/could be.Anybody else got a clue?
  8. doctorwayne

I can help with that. ;) The reporting marks are GILX (GERN Industries Limited), and if you let me know the car types and number of cars, I'll be happy to assign suitable car numbers - this is just to avoid having duplicate car numbers, as several GERN modellers have decided to also model some GERN rolling stock. I'm keeping a list to maintain some semblance of a "plan". :-D Car types in-service include covered hoppers, tankcars, and, fairly recently, gondolas and boxcars, but you can expand on that if you wish. There is no commercial lettering available for these cars, so there's no lettering diagram or colour scheme either. Paint 'em any colour that you like, and letter them with any colour and style of lettering that you wish, with the reporting marks, numbers, and dimensional data arranged on the side of the car in the same manner as any prototype car.

9. Catt

Catt Guest

The cars that are currently in the paint shop are 1 50' double plugdoor boxcar ,1-4 bay center-flo and 2-2 bay center-flos.

Being as they are in today's setting the data is going to be minimal beyond the reporting marks and GERN plastered down both sides.
  10. Catt

Catt Guest

Here are pics of the first two cars,these are N scale FYI.

Both cars are modified Bachmann units.The boxcar was made from two 40' Hi cubes and uses a MDC Roundhouse frame for weight.

The hopper has a trough hatch grafted on form an old Precision Masters (now Red Caboose) PS-2 hopper.

The colour was supposed tyo match the tan that CSX uses but is mnot even close,but that's ok I like them anyway.:mrgreen: I am also planning on atleast 2 HO cars and just for grins and giggles may do one for the On30 railroad too.
  11. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

So anyone make an "official" Gern decal sheet yet??? ;)
  12. Catt

Catt Guest

No one has that I know of.I've got a couple places to check into (and permission to do) but have not had the time yet.

I've been planning on checking with Roland (Engineshop) to see if he could do the various logos in a couple different sizes.
  13. doctorwayne

Catt, your GERN paint jobs turned out well: nicely understated and generating revenue, too! :thumb::thumb::-D

14. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

DW-does GERN's wonder flux have any applicatons in the steel mill industry? it would be awful sweet to see some GERN cars serving my steel mill. and if possible,does GERN need a dedicated coal mine? if so ill have one soon i can letter for'em :thumb: thanks in advance.--josh
  15. viperman

viperman Active Member

Any interest with GERN in the lumber industry?
  16. doctorwayne

GERN is most definitely connected to the steel industry - the Port Maitland plant's biggest customer, by volume, is the steel industry in nearby Hamilton. While the obvious uses are in the basic operations that change ore to iron, GERN products are used throughout the steelmaking process, including, but not limited to, ingot mould release agents (and in more modern times, mould powders for the continuous casting process), additives to make steel more ductile, more malleable, and all-around more steely (at least 3% so);). GERN Brand Flux is of course a major component in all high temperature refractory materials, and GERN Brand Flux Sludge is the binding agent of choice at sinter plants worldwide. Hot-rolled sheets subjected to a continuous spray of GERN Brand Flux-o-leum during the rolling process are 3% less likely to rust during transit to downstream customers. The uses of Flux in the steel industry are limited only by your imagination.
    Ditto for the forestry industry. From the new super-steels (see above) used to fashion the tools of the industry, to additives to make all the parts of the tree useable (thinks glues and binders for plywoods, waferboard, and laminated beams), to preservatives, pest control, and the use of anhydrous flux as a drying kiln additive, cutting kiln time to just seconds. In the related pulp and paper industry, the uses of GERN Brand Flux are just too manifold to even list.:p;):-D:-D
    In short, if your industries aren't using GERN Brand Products, then you're not offering your customers the best product possible. Try it soon! Your customers will thank you, as will your shareholders.

17. viperman

viperman Active Member

I THINK the main process of the lumber plant on my layoutis actually just to cut the logs down. They will be floated in on the river into the lake at the plant for processing. I do not have anything set in stone for what exactly the plant will be used for. On a similar note, I also do not have any buildings for it yet either. The only buildings I do have are the Clayton County Lumber kit from Walthers. I still need an actual lumber mill. Who knows, maybe I won't even use this industry, and just make it a park instead, considering my budget
  18. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

Wouldn't an efficient mill be interested in using flux for smoother cuts? If you're in a modern setting where weather-treated lumber is produced, surely there can be no greater recommendation than the large volume of flux consumed by Weyerhauser and Georgia-Pacific. Also with modern replanting programs Gern Re-Green helps new growth look old again with 13.2% higher density of growth and an average of 2.2 years faster return to harvest readiness.
  19. viperman

viperman Active Member

I like your thinking ScratchyAngel. Maybe I'll invest in some of Gern's Re-Green to help my forest stay a forest
  20. doctorwayne

Man, you've got a future in Sales with GERN Industries! :p;):-D:-D