GERN Industries Ltd. is on the move....

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by doctorwayne, Oct 8, 2007.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Wayne, I’d like to open a Gern plant. Unfortunately there is no space left on my small layout for a new structure :cry:, but the mill/warehouse complex on my layout is still vacant and I am looking for a company to move in. I think it would be a perfect structure to host a small production/distribution center of GERN Industries :twisted:. I’ll have to contact the GERN World Headquarters to inquire for their production/distribution franchise policies and the rules of their corporate design.
  2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

HOLY MOLEY!!! What a terrific looking industry complex Gary! A very nicely done extention of the GERN line! Wayne and Gary you guys came up with a very neat concept with an excellent execution. Great photos!
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Outstanding Job!!!

Gary:wav: , WOW!!!:eeki::eeki::eeki: , i think you have done a STUPENDOUS JOB on the Texas division of Gern:winki: , it TRULY looks like it was done in the GREAT tradition of Wayne's:)worship: ) work:bravo: , Gary, :bravo: .

Wayne:wav: , you must be proud to have such a GREAT extension added to your FANTASTIC Gern plant:winki: , VERY NICE of you to let the industry continue on:thumb::smilie: .
    :deano: -Deano
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Thanks, Dean. Anybody who'd like to join the GERN family is certainly welcome to participate. You could build a full-blown facility, like Gary's, or something a little less ambitious, like a simple, small-town distribution warehouse. Anybody who's interested can send me a pm, so that we can exchange info. Likewise if you want to letter some rolling stock for GILX - I'm attempting to ensure that no car numbers are duplicated, so I hope to be able to assign car numbers for any interested parties and keep an "all-time" roster of GERN cars.

5. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That was really great! What a great modeling job - I bet the Gern folks are proud of what you've done. The weathering looks terrific.

(3% flatter ironing - where do you come up with that stuff?)
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job on Gern Industries and rolling stock. I also really like how the background information ties everything together.:thumb::thumb:
  7. doctorwayne

Thanks guys. Full credit for the initial concept of GERN and GERN-brand Flux (about 50 years ago) goes to my brother Steven: I've just been running with the idea, and anybody is welcome to join in.

8. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GARY WHAT AN AMAZING JOB MAN!!!!! I go away for a few days and come back and find this!!!! WOW what an OUTSTANDING job!!! And that weathering looks FANTASTIC!!! Way to go Gary, :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  9. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I was wondering where you went. Thanks for the compliments. It was a fun project, and working with docWayne made it doubly so.
  10. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Well !!...Again I missed a great thread...:confused:

Gary, that is one job..!!
    Great work of an excellent "prototype". The idea of divisions of a model industry is great and holds a lot of possibilities...

Both of you guys really pulled one off..!! My respects..!! :thumb:
  11. nolatron

nolatron Member

Hmm... perhaps a GERN Distribution center could be made out of this building I picked up on ebay. :mrgreen:

12. doctorwayne

Thanks, Gus. Anybody's welcome to get in on the fun. ;):-D

I would say so - Head Office has sent you a pm regarding this subject. ;)

13. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

It is always cool when a thread gets resurrected.

Steamhead, thank you for the compliments. And Nolatron, that is a nice building and will make a great distribution center.
  14. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Wayne, Gary,

Do you have any artwork for retailers of Gern products? I have a corner store with a big blank wall waiting for a sign... ;) :D

15. nolatron

nolatron Member

Some rumors I overheard this morning with filing all of my TPS reports:

GERN is possibly looking into making two strategic moves on Union Pacific's Lafayette subdivision, which runs between Elmwood, LA and Houston, TX

First, they are looking at buying the old US Tools warehouse in Elmwood. It's been empty for years collecting dust and has been passed between owners a few times, but nothing ever came of it. It would make an excellent distribution center for GERN with Elmwood being just outside of New Orleans, a major shipping hub for rail, road and ship.

Then even bigger news! GERN has been eyeballing some land in Lake Charles, LA (200 miles west of Elmwood) for a brand spanking new processing plant. We believe this plant would be receiving raw materials from the newly opened Texas Division mine (about 145 miles west) by rail for final product processing, then shipped via rail again to GERN Distribution center in Elmwood for delivery over the southeast US.

That's all the info I got for now!

(note: In typing this up, I came up with new ideas for my layout location, basically taking it from a freelance layout to being loosely based on a real subdivision in Southern Louisiana, with a little "creative licensing" on town names and locations. So yup, another name change and more tinkering.) :mrgreen:
  16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Woohoo! Another reason for me to have plenty of covered hoppers leaving the Texas Division and heading to Lake Charles via the Southern Pacific.
  17. MasonJar

Well, I just answered my own question - If it's GERN, it's Good - Hobby Photo Gallery -

There's lots in doctorwayne's gallery, including billboards, and a vintage (circa 1950s) ad for the various flux products, including industrial, aerospace, domestic, medicinal, and food additive flux compounds. Who knew...!? ;)

When I (re)started in the hobby, I knew that it would be interesting because of all the various aspects. Little did I know that creative writing would be part of it too...! :D

18. doctorwayne

Hi Andrew. :wave: While there is GERN stuff in the Gallery, anybody wanting to model GERN, from a simple sign to a full-blown facility, can pm their e-mail address to me and I'll send along hi-res jpgs of those billboards and the GERN logo. I'll also send along the GERN ad, too, although I'm not sure if it's hi-res. Individuals can then print out what they want, in the size most suited to their scale. And anybody with questions concerning GERN and starting their own branch, a pm will get the ball rolling.
    Andrew, since I already have your e-mail address, I'll send off the artwork now. By the way, if you reply to this, congratulations on your 6,000 post. ;) :eek:

19. MasonJar

Thanks Wayne...!

#6000 was apparently taken up discussing uncoupling magnets... I was hoping for something a little more profound... Oh well ;) :D

20. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Woah, hold on a secon' thar pardner! I'm thinking it just don't get much more profound than uncoupling magnets.

congrats, Andrew!:mrgreen: